A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What to do with computers. I need help.

I know this guy who has a company that only looks for ppl who know Java programming for servers to hire. He told me if I knew Java and passed the online exam at javasoft.com that I could probably get hired right away and making good money.

So my question is this: Should I go to this computer college (a friend of mine went there and he said it was a good school) and take their Java class for 300$ and that will be enough to get a job?

I did the flash thing at home and made enough money to pay my rent for a month, but I hate working from home because it was so hard to not goof off. I got tired of having to force myself to work and so I quit. I need to work with others if I want to get anything done.

I am ready to make some big money. I have my stupid highschool dimploma now and I don't really want to go to college. I don't have the time to wait 2 years to make money.

What can I do?

Wichser
    hey

if you want to pass the computer test at javasoft, you could probably learn java faster yourself online, with good tutorials and help from others than going to a school.
    But then 300 dollars is not a lot of money, but picture this:
    I am at universtiy here in Germany, and we learn java. well I failed the test but I can basically program any stuff that I need for web applications, cuz I have good books and online resources to check on.
    I just hated the university thing of being forced to do somehting I like to do in my free time. Weird I know but that's the way it went.
    Maybe they also ask for different stuff at university here than you would need to know for online creating (I am studying industrial engineering), I don't know.

Taking classes is never wrong in my eyes, it just didn't work well in my way because it was something i rather learn myself.

P.S. think about going to college maybe...you have a lot of spare time to work on the side usually, depending on the course you want to take on. I am just saying that because I learned that it is never wrong to have some kind of higher degree, even though you can make good money by just webdesigning nowadays.

regards,
    iCEBERG

When I get my car I'll take the class. Cuz I hate learning on my free time. I have a Java book here that I only looked at maybe ten pages in about 6 months. Home sux for this kinda thing with me.

Go to college would definitely be my advice. Get a major in Comp. Sci. The sacrifice you make will be paid off many many times in later years. It may not look like it now but higher education is definitely worth it. As an employer of over 40 people I only employ degree qualified staff. Why? They have been taught to think and learn correctly and advance a lot faster and have a good solid grounding in process. Also the training never ends, we send all of our people on several courses a year costing up to $5000 each and more sometime. But to get to those high value courses you must have done the hard yards first.

Well, Thanx for the input as always. Even at 5am I still have a place to go to talk about this stuff.