A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: macromedia+intel 3d deal

check out this link

http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia...ex_intel.fhtml

I really don't know what to make of it. anyone know anything about intels internet 3d technology?

jk

It's quite cool, but it's just the initial announcement this week -- just guidance for site developers. There aren't deliverables yet, so it's a little hard to describe details.... ;-)

Here's plenty of info on the core rendering engine, which will drop into the Shockwave Player when the auto-update switch is thrown:
    http://www.intel.com/ial/3d/

This is a little different than what we do with 3D in Flash... in Flash we pre-render individual 3D objects (as vectors or pixels), and then use 2D sprite animation techniques upon them. The Intel realtime 3D engine can rotate individual objects in arbitrary directions, move the camera about, set lights or shaders interactively, and render it all multiple frames per second.

The major problems with web 3D in the past have been the lack of player distribution, and then the filesize issues. I'm excited by this approach because it seems to solve both these problems.

Give it some time, though... this week was just the initial guidance announcement. The project should be a little further along for more detailed announcements later this year. Exciting stuff.... ;-)

Regards,
    John Dowdell
    Macromedia Tech Support

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

exciting is somewhat of an understatement As a MAX modeler and animator, I'm really looking forward to it.

Welcome to the community, John.

jim (the Matrix) armstrong

is this how the cult 3d stuff is done? I mean as far as the rendering.

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

I don't think Cult3D is as well-integrated with the hardware, but the idea is the same - the plug-in is exposed to geometry and renders views 'on the fly'. Compression is applied to delivery geometry to the browser in a compact manner. I'll look forward to more details and the usual good coverage by John.