A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who wants netscape to die?

Talking

Im so angry with it, it gives webdesigners a hassle and a half! Not only makin things look weird but makin things not even show up.

Like on mouse over text links wont even change color in NE eg. the links at thet top of flashkit. thats a small problem but Netscape is a problem , and since it has grown in popularity i have to stress myself and start rearranging things to work with netscape also

[Moved to Coffe Lounge]

FK Times - Head Publisher
    FK Board Heavyweight

I too find Netscape lacking. I code in Dreamweaver 4 UltraDev and find it takes care of the cross browser compatiblity issues for the most part. Netscape seems to mess with percentage based tables as well and make sure to put in transparent gifs to hold the cells open! Tried Opera as well, but I guess I am just used to IE. Opera did not mess up the pages and loads the pages quick. Just don't like the fact you have to pay for it or put up with a banner ad in the top window. Seemed like an adequate browser, but I don't have the patience to learn it right now. More important things to learn.

From my experience and alot of my friends...DO NOT download Netscape 6. Does not like DHTML much, nor layers. Also, a friend had a bad time trying to remove it from his machine. Embeded itself in Windows real good. Screwed up his email. Far as I am concerned, Netscape = AOL as that is who owns them.

Catch ya later.

We have T1 in our High school of 1600 kids...and it seems to me like 14.4k modem !!!!! they use Netscape V4.0,
    it takes forever to open the single page, but downloads with 80 kb/s, that's so funny...
    The teacher says:"There's a reason why we use Netscape".

yeah right, like Firewall doesn't work for IE, that's her philosophy !!!

Originally posted by Homesite4u
    I too find Netscape lacking. I code in Dreamweaver 4 UltraDev and find it takes care of the cross browser compatiblity issues for the most part. Netscape seems to mess with percentage based tables as well and make sure to put in transparent gifs to hold the cells open! Tried Opera as well, but I guess I am just used to IE. Opera did not mess up the pages and loads the pages quick. Just don't like the fact you have to pay for it or put up with a banner ad in the top window. Seemed like an adequate browser, but I don't have the patience to learn it right now. More important things to learn.

From my experience and alot of my friends...DO NOT download Netscape 6. Does not like DHTML much, nor layers. Also, a friend had a bad time trying to remove it from his machine. Embeded itself in Windows real good. Screwed up his email. Far as I am concerned, Netscape = AOL as that is who owns them.

Catch ya later.

It does like layers and DHTML but IE uses its own standard that is diffrent from the W3C's. NS complies with the W3C's standard where as IE does not. It is not NS that is irregular it is IE and Microsoft did this on purpose.

The biggest beef that I have with NS is the table bug and it is a memory hog (they dumped to much junk on NS).

Smile

[/B][/QUOTE]
    It does like layers and DHTML but IE uses its own standard that is diffrent from the W3C's. NS complies with the W3C's standard where as IE does not. It is not NS that is irregular it is IE and Microsoft did this on purpose.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

I used a layer script from http://www.dynamicdrive.com that has a layer come out when you mouse over. Works great in NS 4.7, 4 and IE 4 and up. Netscape 6 screws it up badly. Why the change do you think? Were they not following W3C standards with 4.7? Can't figure why they would support it and then not.

I wish I knew how to fix it and even the author of the code does not. He said he is not going to waste his time trying to get things right in NS6 as he will never use it. Guess I have to now make a browser script to detect NS6 and redirect to a plain page. It is too bad as it is such a lovely page. More work for me. More money tho!

netscape just makes design more difficult

Here's my thoughts regarding Netscape (note the alt tag on my quick launch bar).

dstewart

Ugly with a capitol F Ekostudios's Avatar
    I STONGLY agree. NS makes designing hell.

I have stopped supporting NS altogether.

My sites tend to look not as good on NS even if I attempt to support it.

Down w/ NS

The Supreme Shaman and Keeper of Polar Lights
    Hi !

Relax As it exist we have to live with it... And may be webdesigners hate Netscape, but many people still use it. And we can't say them just "go away from that page made for IE". Or may be is possible on page made for fun, but not on page made for money

i find it quite funny. they spen 6 years tryin to win the browser wars, and then lose t with one of the worst browsers ever. w3c does not realise that we are not all perfect , and that everyone, from developer to end user refers a tlerant browser.

Ex: Good site with layers
    IE: Good site with layers (Dev: Dynamic Positioning, End:It works)
    NS:No layer support (Dev: No dyn pos, and my site looks like ****, End: Why doesn't it work)

I say just abandon NS now.

Ugly with a capitol F Ekostudios's Avatar
    Originally posted by Ilya
    "go away from that page made for IE". Or may be is possible on page made for fun, but not on page made for money
    True True

If we all ignore it.. Netscape will go away.. like AOLOL

A lot of people were hoping for something better in NS6, but it just bit the slow loading dust.

I personally use Opera 5, but it doesn't do some DHTML stuff, and some (poorly written) tables don't load properly either.

IE is the best browser, and it also has about 90% of the market share.

Anyone still designing for Version 3 browsers? WHY? 99% of surfers have at least a version 4 browser now. Do you seriously think there are people still trying to view the modern internet with a piece of crap? Give me a break.

</2cents>

and I'd like to say "Good on ya!" to dstewart21 for having Dynamic Drive in his linkbar! http://www.dynamicdrive.com/

Exclamation i say

i say that NUTSCRAPE suck doggy balls..it sucks..i went through a phase where i used nutscrape..but then i got the beta version of windows whistler and i noticed that IE6.0 was betta than anything else..

although i do agree with all of you about netscape's shortcomings as a browser i would like to say this. without netscape there is no alternatives. shure there are other smaller browsers out there but none of them support the same level of functionality as IE or NS. I think everyone should use netscape! it would give them more support and ability to make a better product. since the creaters aren't charging anything for it it's up to us to make it a better product by using it and supporting it as a web browser. I hate IE, i hate the huge installer, i hate the special folders it installs in your system, i hate that you can't uninstall it from windows if you don't like it. IE is not a good product, it's just a little better than NS and so everyone dogs netscape and chooses the easy route. back in the day netscape ruled IE, and i'd like to see it get that way again, so i'm going to keep using it. it runs fine for me and i don't see all these design issures everyone seems to have problems with and i design websites all the time.

my 2 cents anyway

keep netscape alive!

you know that instantly from us all chanfing to netscape half the sites on the web will look utter rubbish?

use opera if you want a quick browser. i use both IE and O

Former Employee of Satan Napalm's Avatar
    I hate Netscrape. To the four people still using NS Get a decent browser!!!

LoungeLizard
    Netscape´s ok. You are all whining babies and shouldn´t work in the industry
    IE did not become the big player because it was better but because it was pushed on ppl.
    It may be most reliable browser now but that´s because most half hacks do pages that aren´t tested on any other browsers since they too use the most widely distributed choice and can´t be bothered to make their sites properly.

And once again those stupid "i hate" remarks
    Napalm, check your attitude kid.

Smurf.