A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Beating down doors? ...

I would like to vioce the same concern contained in the post that opened this thread ... I have just started working for a reputable internet design company, and as far as I can tell the demand for Flash (bearing in mind that I am in Northern Ireland) is weak to say the least. Many companies here are still suspicious about Flash, and as a result there doesn't seem to be a demand for entirely/partially Flashed sites.

I must say that I can see why this should be the case, as Flash is often overused or used in the wrong context (IMHO) ... and to say that Flash designers are in BIG demand at the moment, especially in the commercial design industry, is a BIG mistake.

Can someone PLEASE tell me that I am wrong?! I would love to see Flash more freely used on the Internet, and used in a broader context ... but it just doesn't seem to be happening.

I think I can speak on behalf of my company. Since we rely heavily on ecommerce, our Marketing division is reluctant to use Flash simply because they do not want to use anything that requires a plug-in.

They continue to be stubborn with this despite the fact that there are alternatives for the folks that do not have the plug-in.

I agree that Flash is often used in the wrong context. I've been to a couple usability classes in Boston and they maintain that a fairly substantial amount of users studied get annoyed with excessive Flash animations (especially on commerce sites).

regards,

dstewart