A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CGI or ASP ???

which is better and why ?

ASP

Originally posted by Desertsnowman
    which is better and why ?
    It all boils down to effecieny and what one wants inthe end.
    If you would be using that on your own server and wont be transporting your site to other servers then ASP is good else CGI as apache/perl are on all servers and 70% of the servers around the world are unix.
    Also, ASP is faster and code can be smaller and the best thing is effecient, because once any user hits CGI/perl the perl compiler starts a new thread/module and so bascially we are overloading the server adn the perl compiler so we can expect delays etc...on the other hand ASP can work the opposite as if user 1 requests page1 and user 2 also requests page 2, ASp would direct user 2 stratight to the page 1 as it know it is already opened... Ihope im making sense .... but there is another alternative likes MODPERl which do the same thing ... so it is a very complex decision and much based on ones resources and needs.
    Cheers
    gary sapra

Eat Rice!
    erm... just pick the one you like better. VB or Perl. I think that ASP seems more efficient for web based stuff. I dunno... i think it's more important as to which one you are more comfortable with.

I know our company and me personally use ASP scripts to run our pages. We have everything like shopping carts, to backend tying to Windows based Inventory systems. It runs effeicently and works great! It would definently recomemd it.

By The Way - This is my first post in this forum

We've found the asp easier to write and learn. Perl seems more obtuse and confusing.
    Good resource : asp101.com .

loves you all to bits
    My clientelle are small companies they normaly just need
    a form script.
    so to make my live easy i just stick to cgi.

Eddie

Now dont forget about Cold Fusion. I use cold fusion mainly and it is a great piece of prgramming. Very fast, easy to learn, and it can do anything that ASP, or PERL can. Thanks

Josh Dura

I guess everybody has their prefereces and all witht he code you can right as the amount of scripts and help avaliable in the market is there for both CGI and ASP. But can the company afford a windows server or would they be better of putting their stuff on somebody elses etc...and also the amount of traffic can be one big factor in deciding...for example part of HOTMAIL service is still on UNIX....IRONIC!!!!
    cheers
    gary

Hands down php is my fav. php and mysql, run it on linux and apache and it's all free. and you can embed php in your pages just like asp or you can have it run as cgi. e-mail forms, database connections for oracle, odbc, MSSQL, mySQL, and a herd of others. for the money, the functionality and ease of learning i think it's pretty hard to beat php.

I'm gonna have to throw a loop in here and say neither cgi or asp. ASP is good if you are running a windows server. Something which I don't prefer too much. I'm a unix man myself. I say go with PHP. It's faster than cgi, more efficient and is cross-platform capable.

Big question is "whats next with asp". We have spent alot of time with it but the next addition of Asp.net worries us.If Microsoft starts charging royalty fees on all uses - we as a company may switch overto something else. Yes, the net strategy has advantages but the royalty issue creates problems with the idea of one owning ones product.

Taper Boy for the Prophets of the Funk
    Mac8myPC & [-S|NiStEr_MiNd-] -

You 2 are geniuses I have to agree, I've been using PHP and MySQL as a combination for about a year now, and with the deployment of PHP4, there are things like session cookies and complete shopping-cart capabilities that can have a whole e-commerce site up and running for a SUBSTANTIALLY smaller licensing fee then ASP and MicroSuck. And ASP also ties you into a Windows-based server, another annoyance all unto itself (there's a reason beyond it's price tag why Apache is still the king of servers).

And have we ever taken a look at the code for CGI or ASP??? Hello, confusing. PHP makes sense, it's part of the open-source movement which means that innovation, not a pricing structure, will drive it forward. This is good for everyone involved. Yes, there are times when CGI or ASP might be best for a company, but with ASP.net, Microsoft might be leading it's customers down the same road that PeopleSoft did with their application, and others like Cold Fusion might not be too far behind.

It all depends on your situation. For all of mine, PHP and MySQL have been the way to go.

FK Times - Editor in Chief
    My Good Little Birdie

Tough choice...CGI or ASP...hmmmmm

I say ColdFusion!!!! ColdFusion is essentially a mix between ASP and CGI - and it is much much easier too!!! You can use any kind of database - whether it be Access Oracle SQL - whatever you want!!! Also if you you use cfm-resources for hosting all you need is notepad - although there is a Studio which costs $400 but you dont really need it.

Some CF resources -

http://www.webmonkey.com (Check out Charles' ColdFusion Tutoriak - It's great to start out with it!!!
    http://www.cfhub.com - A great resource site
    http://www.cfm-resources.com - Free CF hosting
    http://www.allaire.com - The Makers of ColdFusion

for coldfusion people

For all the people who are so happy with cold fusion you can be more happy...if you want to use cold fusion server on your machine to host the site and only have the trial version then you canbe a bit happy as cold fusion can be reinstalled again and again and there is no security check like Macromedia after those 30 days...and also if someone would change the system clock the no. of trial days also increases...I think allaire is not aware of this problem which it has been with in cold fusion studio too.
    Lastly if you dont have studio then you can always use Macromedia UltraDev which supports cfml tags.
    Cheers
    gary

Red face

well.. my two cents..... cgi/perl... two main reasons, the biggest being portability - as already noted above, over 70% of the net is on a unix system, and the ones that are not will still generally run perl scripts..... not so with asp.... the other is the power and flexibility... while perl is pretty close to being an actual programming language and thus seemingly obscure and more difficult to learn, the payoff is that it will do almost anything you need done in a net application..... while php and some of the others are quick and easy, they don't have the overall capabilities of perl (or if you want to go a step further and do c/c++ cgi programs)......

PHP is it.

http://www.php.net

start giving asp and cgi the flick now, and stay abreast of the competition.

DJ_SFinKz
    hmmmm....asp is now more in "fasion"

Seems i chose the wrong language

Personally, I am liking perl. perl can be used for cgi AND asp on unix and win servers. for win, all you need to do is download and install a binary distribution of perl from http://www.activestate.com and set up the MIMEs for cgi and pl; for unix you'll need to install Apache ASP and mod_perl and any other related mods, but it tightly integrates with Apache... runs really fast when installed properly.

I am admitedly newish to perl, but it can be a very brief language (sytactically short) and that means it will run faster.

perl is open source. There are lots and lots of free scripts available (most can be plugged into your ASP with little to no modification), so you are very likely to find something that will accomplish what you want already.

Definitely can be a wacky language (especially since it's the first I've tried learning).

So what's ASP? a microsoft term. It's basically taking any scripting language (VB, Java, perl..) and placing it directly in your HTML code, so it runs at the same time your HTML does. CGI is usually called by some other action (pushing submit) before it runs.

PHP!

Neither,

PHP is the secret sauce.

DJ_SFinKz
    Yes, php is good, it is like perl but you can insert html MUCH! easier. u just put the <?php > tags around what you want the php to be.