A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Prices and time?

How much time is fair for a short flash intro and should you take an hourly fee or a set price...? in any case, how much should I charge per hour/per intro...?

//Gustaf

It really depends. I would check on other multimedia and design companies in your area to stay "competitive". Also... keep this in mind. It all depends on the confidence in yourself. If you design well, then companies will pay you for what you ask... because they "WANT" it.

Here are some ideas...
    1). Per hour on the time you spend in design
    2). Per 30 sec that your intro plays (normally for standalone players, since the web would take too long)
    3). Contract work. They pay you so much per month for design and administration (normally this is your big money, and most work)

I hope this helps. Anyone else.... give myself and dragonlord your ideas and concepts! Thanks!

--Neelixx

Also.... I would definately stay away from a "set price" unless it's a contract. More times than not... you will find yourself spending waaaaay more time on a project that you didn't think would take long... and then... not only are you sacrificing time for other clients... you aren't getting paid for the "extra" time you put in. Of course.. that's my own opinion.

Good luck!
    --Neelixx

Thanks...!

//Gustaf

Ugly with a capitol F Ekostudios's Avatar
    Pricing Is hard.

Set an hourly wage for yourself.

Then giva a quote to tell how long you think it will take. Make SURE you confirm w/ the client that it is only a quote and not a contract!

Also give a MAXIMUM price. don't charge over it. Keep your maximum as close to the quote as possible. If you are REALLY unsure about the time involved, get more lenient w/ the maximum price.

Just remember: time=money

DJ_SFinKz
    Here we go again -
    another one of those price threads lol

But I like to settle the price before the intro is made!
    Another good practise is to do something like 50/50 (with the money)
    When the client sees a bit of work you get 50% and when it is done you get the other 50%.
    That is a good way of doin things.

Hope this helps