dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: The most items you've had in the library...

Hybrid View

Talking

I've got over 100 items in the library. I'm getting worried. Can there be too many items in the library? what's the most you've ever had? Should I just break up the movie and use separate .swf?

the movie only needs to load(from the library) what is being displayed. you may have 100 items in your library, but may actually only be using 50-70.

on your library palette click the options button and choose "update use count" - then click "select unused items." the items it selects do not appear on the timeline, which means they can be deleted. as a precaution i always save my movie before i delete unused items, and once i delete the unused items i save it with a slightly different name, just in case.

one of the best things about breaking 1 .swf into multiple, is you require less of a download at one single time. and if the viewer never goes into certain sections of your site, they never have to download something they don't want to see in the first place.

so to truly answer your questions:

1. there is no such thing as too many items in your library

2. 371 (web based) 1,264 (cd rom based)

3. break down the .swf's if your worried about download
    times, otherwise forget about it.

Thank you for your reply. I'm actually very good about using "select unused Items" and saving as a precaution. I am using 99 of the 100 items in the library. I didn't know about "update use count" i'll use that now, thanks.

About the .swf

<<one of the best things about breaking 1 .swf into multiple, is you require less of a download at one single time. and if the viewer never goes into certain sections of your site, they never have to download something they don't want to see in the first place>>

What if they do go into a "heavy" loading section, is the download time the same as if the .swf hadn't been broken up? I am new to the concept of braking the "scenes" up into different .swf's and I have a five "page" flash site and one of the pages takes forever to load. I was thinking breaking it into it's own .swf might be a good idea, but I'm still unsure as to why.

Thanks again for all your help.