A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash project handoff

This goes out to all the professional Flashers out there. I've been asked to sit in on a meeting with the design company who did our flash site. The design company will be handing off the project to our creative team. We do not have an experienced Flash designer on staff. I'm proficient with Flash but not in a professional environment.

What deliverables should we be expecting? Anything I should be looking out for? I just don't want us to be ripped off by the design company.

Thanks for the advice!

Ripped off by a designer?? Never!!
    There is a certain amount of disagreement over this issue but, IMHO, you should be getting all of the FLA files when the contract with your designer is paid up. The FLAs will have everything that is in the site and they will be editable, in case some future changes need to be made.
    Most designers, including me, will not hand over FLAs until the project is complete and the final payment is made. This seems fair enough. Some don't want to EVER hand over the FLAs. This doesn't seem fair to the purchaser (assuming that they are paying a fair price.)
    Many designers will want some sort of credit somewhere that the public can see. This also seems fair enough. Most of these issues will probably have been addressed in your original contract. You should read it through and understand what each of you said you would do; then, make sure you both live up to the agreement.
    hth

Many designers charge extra for the FLA files. If the client wants the source files, they´ll have to contract it before the projects begins to get it included in the price otherwise it will cost them a bit (a large bit ) more... Thats how I do it, and many with me I think...

//Gustaf

I agree with both Jelve and DragonLord in different aspects. I do believe, that when a client pays for my services, he, in essence, bought the product that I produced. Therefore, it is only right to give him what he bought (The FLA's). However, to agree with DragonLord, I think compensation on handing over these files should be a greater charge, as well as documented in writing.

I never did put that in my contracts, but it's so common sense, I believe I will! Thanks DragonLord.

--Neelixx

Originally posted by Neelixx
    I agree with both Jelve and DragonLord in different aspects. I do believe, that when a client pays for my services, he, in essence, bought the product that I produced. Therefore, it is only right to give him what he bought (The FLA's).
    --Neelixx
    I don't think so.

Is the FLA file really the product that the client bought?
    If you buy a car - do you automatically get the construction plans? If you go to a restaurant, are you getting the recipe with your order?

In general we never hand out the FLA files to a client as they contain knowledge we accumulated over a long period. Of course we state that in all our contracts and if a client really wants the sources he will have to pay extra - depending on the project that price goes up to the original production costs.

Cheers
    Mario Klingemann
    coma]2 - collective of media artists

Interesting point, Mario. Thanks!

--Neelixx

Originally posted by coma2mario

Is the FLA file really the product that the client bought?
    If you buy a car - do you automatically get the construction plans? If you go to a restaurant, are you getting the recipe with your order?

I agree. A programmer would never give out his code, the client would get what he paid for...the finished product, a compiled program. So why would should we be expected to do any differently?