A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: A discussion on frame speed issues in 1) SWF player vs 2) Browser vs 3) MAC

FK Board Shoe
    You spoony bard!

Add your opinions and experiences... This is something which has troubled me for a while now. I value your opinion.

Create a bare bones movie (2 frame black white strobe) with a frame speed of 75 fps...

Play it in the SWF player and it plays at 20-25 frames per second roughly.

Play it in a browser (PC) and it plays at 75 fps...

Play it in a browser (MAC) and it plays substantially slower... (40 fps)

We can't really blame processor speed when we are dealing with such a simple movie setup...

So why does it run slower?

Your thoughts?

Does anyone else find this to be a problem.... It is just of late that I am experimenting with superframespeed stuff and this complicates the situation incredibly....

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated....

Ugly with a capitol F Ekostudios's Avatar
    I also find this strange. But make a movie at 25fps, it looks normal in each situation.

I believe this is just the quality of the player.

Flash was initially designed for the internet on Win9x.

I've never seen a site over 20fps tho, so this should never become much of a problem.

Never go over 35fps. - Even nice PCs slow down.

I made a site at 20fps on the mac with flash 5. It runs fine on mac, but when testing it on a pc with flash 5, it runs about 40% faster. Nothing to do with processor speed, it just plays too fast.

As a test, I also made a 6 second movie at 20fps. On a mac, it took 8.3 seconds to finish. On a pc it took 6 seconds. the movie was very simple so it didn't matter if you were on a fast computer or not..