A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Blurring type

Hi,

I want to do a Flash animation that involved blurring type. I want to create a rollover effect where the type is blurred when in its normal mode but 'sharpens up' on mouse rollover. Can Flash achieve that or do I need to create individually/manually-created blurred type (in stages) in something like Fireworks, Illustrator or Photoshop (and then import into Flash?)

Any help very gratefully received,

Thanks

Lance
    Brighton, UK

well, I think at least one way of doing this is by having just one photoshopped image of the blurred text, and then the normal text, and what you do is basically cross-fade them, as in the blurred text fades out while the crisp text fades in, or vice versa. How well it works depends on technique.. I've seen this method work really well.

hope that helps a little!

DJ_SFinKz
    If you have swish you could use only one frame of the blur effect, that looks cool.

If you have no idea what I am talking about just follow what karnak was saying

Fantastic - can see how that would work, will try it out...

Cheers,

Lance

DJ_SFinKz
    You have just gained +1 IQ lol
    Happy Flashing

Thanks for the tips. Unsure about Swish- I am aware of it but don't think it's Mac-friendly. Otherwise, would it include blurring as one of its effect options?

Cheers,

Lance

I dont know if swish is mac friendly, but It can blur, Explode, implode, fade, a lot of different effects with little effort.

Hi, me again... :-)

I've managed to create the effect I like by mixing a tweened blurred graphic (100% to 0% alpha) and a 'sharp' graphic (0 to 100%).

You can see the effect at:

http://www.netden.demon.co.uk/ssi_dummy1

(it's for a sight-saving charity in the UK).

Now... next problem (!):

I want it to revert to the blurred version when the mouse moves away, but can't seem to manage that. I assume it's an actionscript of some sort but I'm a bit stuck. At the minute this is a button symbol graphic in Flash that has the static blurred graphic as the up mode and the over mode is the movie clip of the blur-to-sharp animation.

Any help very gratefully received!

Cheers,

Lance

here's an example of one of the several ways that can be done.

http://www.virtual-fx.net/tutorials/...andingpill.htm

ignore the pill making and just focus on the way they set up the timeline and the use of buttons.

basically, what you do is use two separate invisible buttons inside a single movie clip, with the fading in/fading out happening inside this clip's timeline. The first button tells the clip to play, the second button can tell the clip to go to the fade out and play.. there are different ways of doing it but hope this gives you an idea of how to accomplish this effect

again, good luck (the fade looks good BTW )

Lance Bellers, That looks great.. I never though of doing it that why

That looks the exact effect I want - will download the fla and tutorial and study it.

Many thanks for that - I'll post my results a bit later!

Cheers,

Lance

I've managed to get it to work how I want it. See it at:

http://www.netden.demon.co.uk/ssi_dummy1

(remember to refresh :-) )

But STILL two problems:

1) Although the fade back to blur is instant on rollout on my PC, it only activates on my Mac if you roll out verrrrryyy slooowwwlllllyyy... are people out there finding this or not?

2) I think because of the blur effect, you can detect the edges of the clip, it's not seamless against the blue. I have tried just blurring a selection (back in the original PNG) but still showing. Any ideas?

Thanks to everyone

Lance