A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Rollover grief

Hi,

I've managed to create an effect I like by mixing a tweened blurred graphic (100% to 0% alpha) and a 'sharp' graphic (0 to 100%) to make blurred type come 'into focus'

You can see the effect at:

http://www.netden.demon.co.uk/ssi_dummy1

(it's for a sight-saving charity in the UK).

Now... next problem (!):

I want it to revert to the blurred version when the mouse moves away, but can't seem to manage that. I assume it's an actionscript of some sort but I'm a bit stuck. At the minute this is a button symbol graphic in Flash that has the static blurred graphic as the up mode and the over mode is the movie clip of the blur-to-sharp animation.

Any help very gratefully received!

Cheers,

Lance
    Brighton, UK

Hey,

You are really going about it the wrong way. Instead of having this as a button, you need to make it a movie clip with a button inside.

Simply have an action to stop on the first keyframe of your movie clip. Then on your button have a play action when a rolloverstate is true. Stop again when the text is completely unblurred. Now, add a mouseout state that then plays again. Obviously you'll have to add the reverse effect and voila!

Regards,
    Shad0w

Think I've got that - will post the results once I've got my head around it!

Many thanks for putting me back on the right road,

Lance

I've managed to get it to work how I want it. See it at:

http://www.netden.demon.co.uk/ssi_dummy1

(remember to refresh :-) )

But STILL two problems:

1) Although the fade back to blur is instant on rollout on my PC, it only activates on my Mac if you roll out verrrrryyy slooowwwlllllyyy... are people out there finding this or not?

2) I think because of the blur effect, you can detect the edges of the clip, it's not seamless against the blue. I have tried just blurring a selection (back in the original PNG) but still showing. Any ideas?

Thanks to everyone

Lance

Very nice site. I noticed that the buttons don't click anywhere yet. Have you tried activating them? I have similar buttons on a project I am working on. On RollOver an animation is activated. On RollOut it reverses. However, when I try to do an on release nothing happens. I've tried various scripts - calling the new scene and frame number or label, going to a frame in the button movie itself and then going to the new scene, and several other variations. Thanks for any help.

Oh fyi - the weird effect may happen when you mouseout before it has finished the mouseover part so it stops itself at the sharpened frame (I assume there is a stop action on that frame). Can you set your mouseout effect to gotoandplay to the frame right after the fully sharp frame? And make sure it is set on both instances (blur to sharp).

Thanks for all that. Yes, there is a stop action as you suspected. I will continue to refine it along the lines you suggest.

Do you have the URL for your project?

Cheers,

Lance

No unfortunately I am not allowed to share with the public. It will go on CD-ROM and be distributed to a limited audience. However, if I cannot get the buttons to actually click anywhere it will just end up in my trash. If you get your buttons to click please let me know. Thanks.

Oh yes and I am not seeing the edge of the clip. But try Break Apart on the bitmap until it becomes Flash vector art. Do you have Flash 5? I broke apart a complex bitmap and it maintained its appearance completely and I can now manipulate like any other vector object.