dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: dynamic text

Unhappy

I am trying to adjust the alpha value of a Movie Clip which has a dynamic text field in it. The text field is assigned to a value in a .txt file, and I'm using loadVariable and then assigning the values. The movie clip instance name is 'start', and the action is in the first frame of the Movie Clip layer.
    I've used:
    _root.start._alpha = "50";
    _root.start._alpha = 50;
    start._alpha = "50";
    start._alpha = 50;
    setProperty ("start", _alpha, "50");
    setProperty ("start", _alpha, 50);

Hi..
    Your codes will work dependant on where your targeting from. Try and provide a little more detail if possible. What exactly arwe you after?

Marx

Alpha does not work with dynamic text...

I could be wrong, but I do not believe that you can change the alpha value for dynamic/input text. At least this has been my experience in the past.

I am trying to target the movie from the main timeline. In the movie, I have a graphic which is the dynamic text. I would like to adjust the alpha value for the movie which will hopefully adjust the alpha value of the nested graphic/dynamic text. I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks

Hi..
    As designedbyG said, you can't adjust the alpha value of Input/Dynamic text if it's set to it's 'default setting'. The default setting uses 'system fonts' from the user's computer, so Flash has no effect over them.
    There is a way round this! If your using flash 5 (Can't remember Flash 4) you can select 'Include Font Outlines' from the Text Options Panel. This will anti-alias your text meaning you can now set it's alpha if it is part of a MC.

If you do as above then the following script will set the alpha of the movie clip "start" from the main timeline:

on (release) {
    start._alpha=25;
    }

start contains a textfield with 'Include Font Outlines' selected.

Hope this helps.