dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: design theories no.2

Probationary Member

resolved

all right..here's new list of things to keep in mind...plus the old ones
    1.keep in mind that some users don't appreciate full throw in fullscreen so keep it an option.
    2.validate all your links
    3.never use more than two fonts on a site.
    4.never use more than 4 colors on a site unless it is a colory site like http://www.turtleshell.com or a cartoon site.
    5.use positive and negative together but not negative-negative and positive-positive...
    red on yeloow looks pretty horrible sometimes.
    6.keep in mind that drop shadows you create(Modify->Curves->soften Edges)are processor intensive and slow down your movie a lot.
    7.masks can be powerful but overuse mya bring to slow performance.
    8.make sure your link elements are related to the content they're linking to.
    9.use gradients as little as possible. it's not a big deal today as it was a yer ago.
    10.keep your filesize lower than 700K.
    11.load your music from an external file.
    12.have a music on/off button
    13.if you know that your music is a bit too loud, make it quieter.
    14.always include a preloader.
    15.do not overuse load movies as people don't want to see a billion preloaders.
    bad example of load movies is http://www.turtleshell.com but fortunately filesizes are very small.
    16.aliased fonts(sharp fonts)are only used when the fonts should be small to save space.
    17.always check the Stream option when testing your movie.
    18.after done streaming, publish the movie or minimize the test window(because the size when you test the movie is 110% on 110% it may be very slow)
    19.keep vector video animations maximum to 500 frames.
    20.opacity slows down performance
    21.when animating an object make sure all others stay still. this way, the animating object will play faster rather than competing in speed with other object.
    22.never use offensive or loud FX(screeching tires, loud gunshots)
    23.keep in mind that most people view your work at work so keep it profane-filtered in case anyone else is watching
    24.if your filesize is too big(over 300K) put a notice on the preloader that tells the filesize
    25.position your elements this way:
    [menu]
    [content]
    [widgets]
    or
    [widgets]
    [content]
    [menu]
    but never
    [content]
    [menu]
    [widgets]
    or
    [widgets]
    [menu]
    [content]
    26.make all your elements bright enough so that you can still see them at 0 brightness of your monitor.
    27.circular menus are becoming obsolete so use them very wisely.
    28.NeVeR uSe FuNkY cApS oN yOuR sItE
    29.spell ceck yor sight
    30.keep animation to its minimum as possible...never overanimate.
    31.don't overuse SWiSH
    32.keep a balance between sides(left, right, top bottom)
    33.keep text to a minimum but have content.
    34.make your intros have as less text as possible and a skip intro button.
    [Edited by [elvis] on 07-22-2000 at 02:30 PM]

Good guidelines.

some good points, some i would argue, but i would say 300k should be a maximum size, because the majority of people with 56k wont wait that long, and if you need a preloader, putting the size wont hurt.

totally agree with the fullscreen...it runs slow, and no, we do not think it's cool.

also, use fonts that are readable, and ones that most people have. (arial is a beautiful font, that does no distract)

finally, don't make your page check to see if someone has the flash plugin. i find that sometimes im told i don't have it, and really this is annoying and all together unnecessary. either put a mini flash animation that has enter on it or something, and if the person doesn't have it, it's likely their browser supports activex and they will automatically be asked if they want to download flash... or use the noembed src tag so if they don't have the plugin there will be text or a picture that says you don't have flash, and provide a download link.

Post I Whole-Heartedly Concur!

I Like it! Your really endearing yourself to Flash Nooge!

heres 1for ya

here is one of the most important

make sure youre site looks attractive and excitng... i hate sites that look to overdone with flash and use flash but are sooooooooo boring and ****. That pisses me off. Flash is a brilliant program Utilise it fully.. If u dont i will personally hunt you down and break all 2 of your legs! :~)
    ( that was a joke!)

And another one... dont use gradienst to much! 2 is more than enogh cos it makes the sitye look to overdone and cheap!

Never ever underestimate the power of the playstation--- ooops wrong message board!

i mean never ever estimate the power of flash!

Cya

Stevie Calder

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

I don't think I've seen a full screen that I thought was justified, just don't do it, even as an option.

u said that no full screen is justified? what about when u don't have enough space to put your design in a normal 800x600 window and u don't want any scrollbars? the look is just different without any reminders that u r in a windows controled enviroment. i like my page to be fullscreen because it trandscends my visitor completly into my design and it's just something different from all the other pages. i like to think at it as browsing thru a sceensaver and i think it's preety cool. dont u like it when u open a game and it has a really nice intro and menus just fly into the right place. i can't give the visitor that feeling with a regular browser window.
    my best regards and i cant wait to see what u reply

Lightbulb My first "real" flash attempt-

My first attempt at using flash,you all seem helpfull and all, can any of you have a look at this website I am currently working on, and give me a pointer, suggestion, critisicm, ... mind you, I only have one ego, so be gentle :-)

http://www.footyindoors.com.au

It isnt totaly complete, a soundtrack, and a few bits here and there, but that is the gest of it.. pretty much the final intro.

Sanks

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

The reason I don't like it is when you are browsing the web you do it from a broswer, the browser gives you control to go back or do whatever. Fullscreen takes that away, even if for a moment. It's not just windows, macs are the same...space isn't an issue, good design enables you to transcend restrictions, and the scalability of flash is one of its best features, ie: if your viewer wants to see stuff big they pay for a big monitor, its not a restriction you're placing on them, its their choice ya know? (besides, fullscreen doesn't have that much difference in size, its just the ability to have no distractions around your work).
    I don't know, maybe it's that the fullscreen stuff I've seen has been done by control freaks, really dark atmosphere, makes you think that your computer has been taken over against your will. I've seen some that don't even have an exit option, thats really offensive. I guess I've always just preferred popups, that way they are draggable, able to be minimized, don't have to scroll (you can set them up exactly how you want) etc etc etc...

fhobia
    Good guidelines :im:!

Though I don't believe this is what you call "design" but more usability rules.

-Brian

Moderator - Anime Curator Naldoman's Avatar
    Usability should be INTREGAL to design. A socket wrench is useless without the handle, no matter how many bolts the socket fits.

RE: FULLSCREEN or NOT---
    If you need the user's whole screen just to get your message across, maybe you should re-evaluate the content of your message. At least give your visitors a warning page and a chance to exit before they a thrust headlong into your control.

Does everything really NEED to be on the same page? Reduce the number of elements and each remaining item will have a STRONGER impact. Visitors will remember that.

Not a Flash Kit Moderator
    The FlashDoctor

Flash king, I love your site, and as an avid Footy fan, it otuches my heart even more, I loved the transition in the beginning. Steve

Samuel C. Granato
    Multimedia Utopia

looks good flash king, but what the hell is footy? Is that like soccer or kickball? Is this an Australian sport?
    I am from Dallas, Texas and I have never heard of it.

Later mates

Diavolo