A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Preloading levels HELP

Wink

How do you preload a level from another level?

IN LEVEL 1:

ifFrameLoaded ("_level2", 20) {
    tellTarget ("_level2") {
    gotoAndPlay (2);
    }

}

Is this right?

Where are you preloading level2 from? This is an if statement which is checking to see if _level2 is loaded. Are you loading level2 from level0? Also, tell target is deprecated. you can just use:

_level2.gotoandplay(2)

instead.

Flashlite

Hack
    You can't really do that, because loaded movies won't play at all until they are fully loaded.

Here's what im doing...
    I have a movie1.swf that is in level 0.

In the process of movie1.swf playing, it has commands to load movie2.swf into level 2 and movie3.swf into level 3.

Both movie2 and movie3 have a blank frame and a stop action in frame 1.

There's a button in movie1.swf that when pressed, tells _level2 and _level3 to gotoAnd Play(2).

But if those 2 levels arent loaded completely there's just a blank screen.

Thats why I want to load a preloader into level 1 that checks to see if _level2 and _level3 are completly loaded and then tells them to gotoAndPlay(2) and sends level 1 to a blank frame

does that make any sense?

It seems to make sense. If u attached as to the button on level0 to run a level1 preloader then you could attach as to a frame on level1:

ifFrameLoaded ("_level2", 20) {
    _level2.gotoAndPlay (2);

If level 2 is not loaded, the level1 preloader would continue to play ( would need to loop back to frame 1 and run again until level2 is loaded ).

BUT you want BOTH a level2 and level3 movie to run simultaneously? Could one run before the other? ( i.e. level2 first, then level3? )

Flashlite

Thanks for the help flashlite.....But I think Im gonna dumped this whole idea of mine....I changed my thought process and I posted it on a new thread here in flash 5 actionscript fourm. Thanks again!

I know that the issue for you might be dead and changed, but i thought i;d throw in my fix into the mix...

I had a lot of problems getting my main scene to acknowledge if the scenes were all loaded on the different levels... so I did this...

I stuf a preloading script of sorts on each scene, just to check if they had loaded... and when they were all loaded, they set a variable like _root.swf1 = 1; and such...

the main scene waited till all the scenes set a variable as 1 and then it went on..

... just an odd work around I found made sence somewhat