Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who's game?

Who's game?

Battle Type: 1 competitor
    Battle Theme: 2 rounds fantasy; then open
    Battle Length: 4 volley each [inc serve]
    Turnaround: 72 hours
    Dimensions: 700x400 Rotation Allowed
    MUST USE AN ELEMENT FROM PREVIOUS VOLLEY. MUST FOLLOW THEME.

Serve:

Comments/Crits always welcome.

I'll try my hardest to stick to the time constraints. I have to work all weekend but ill have something up if you'll accept.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

Very cool, vulf! I really like the smoke coming from his nostril, good call.

A couple of weird things...it looks like some of his teeth aren't anchored in his jaw...they seem to just be floating there. Also, the eye is very cool, but maybe too much of the same shade of red. I wonder if it would look better with certain parts of it having a more vivd red color than others.

aight well i'm going to go ahead and post this without the acceptance.

Last edited by pea3698; 04-28-2006 at 05:13 PM.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;

you did a really good job blending the skin so that it looks 3d. the only thing i think detracts from it is the random whitish highlights on the hair and forehead.

I ain't Lochness Monster
    NIiiiice Pea!
    I would be a pain and say i wish the curve above the eye wasn't that hard, but that's minor detail compared to the exec. Bravo...

---
    ------------------------ -------- --
    Arena ::: #1: Pea3689 ::: #2: Ondraedan :::#3: OkDust
    ------- ----- -

Thanks for the comments guys. The image posted above is actually a halfway point image. The final was not to my satisfaction. There are a couple of sections bothering me a bit but not to horribly much. The highlights im thinking are a monitor thing. I couldnt see them that bad at work and on one monitor here i can and the other I can't.

I love it. back in the day we all complained about crappy images now its evolved to contrast differences on monitors.
    ------------------

Sorry Pea. I just finished my second year of University, and I had to move out today. I definately look forward to the challenge that you offer, and I will most likely work on a reply soon. Tonight possibly if I can't find anything to do.

Nice volley for sure. I like the girl, but I'm not sure the overlay of the lizard really adds anything to the piece. I feel that if it were added as an overlay uniformly over her skin, than it would make sense.. As it is, I can't quite determine if it is a reflection, or just a simple overlay.

I'm sorry I've been nitpicky with everyone, I hope I get the same in return. I suppose I've been over looking at the Worth volleys lately, and their comments and crits are similar to those I've been making. Sorry if I have offended anyone.

I ain't Lochness Monster
    don't be... we criticism

---
    ------------------------ -------- --
    Arena ::: #1: Pea3689 ::: #2: Ondraedan :::#3: OkDust
    ------- ----- -

Pea.. Something I didn't notice to begin with, but you modified the canvas size.. Instead of 700x400, you did 533x400.

I am going to stick with that new size for this volley, but the following one could we move back out to the bigger canvas?

Instead of 700x400, you did 533x400.
    hahahahhaaha omg, I thought for a second my screen perspective was off...

good start guys

SAMedia Blog (general bs) :: jwinmedia (my music site)
    "Think of an advertisement where the product you're marketing is Jesus!"
    -From a work for hire ad

LMAO not a week ago I got onto Nguma about changing the canvas size only to find out that I was totally wrong. Now I have changed it without realizing it. lol gotta love that crap.

Here is a resized version. Once again I am truly sorry. I didnt adjust the above image at all just added a bit around it to fill the space...
    ------------------

No problem Pea. In the words of Deuce Bigalow.. "That's a huuuge b*tch."

I've got an idea, I will get to it once I'm done gardening.

that's cool pea. i actually prefer the larger one (more flames). looks good. and i liked your serve too davulf- shoudl be an interesting battle guys

where's the title change here?

Quote Originally Posted by DaVulf
    Nice volley for sure. I like the girl, but I'm not sure the overlay of the lizard really adds anything to the piece. I feel that if it were added as an overlay uniformly over her skin, than it would make sense.. As it is, I can't quite determine if it is a reflection, or just a simple overlay.
    I'm not following you on this. I actually only used a small portion from behind the ear of your lizard and took samples of that and created a mask of sorts. Actually the layer with all the scales was not used as a layer mask, the womans face was duplicated with a few adjustments on each and each was a set to a different blend. I really wish I had the original to show. I'll def post it on Monday.

Does everyone else think that the scales were just an overlay. I'm seeing it molded to the faces shapes but I created it so... I would really like some opinions on this specific thing..

I'm sorry I've been nitpicky with everyone, I hope I get the same in return. I suppose I've been over looking at the Worth volleys lately, and their comments and crits are similar to those I've been making. Sorry if I have offended anyone.
    Comment away. Whether we think we do or not we want to know and we all listen... Plus its the nitpicky details that make or break an image
    ------------------

Battle Type: 1 competitor
    Battle Theme: 2 rounds fantasy; then open
    Battle Length: 4 volley each [inc serve]
    Turnaround: 72 hours
    Dimensions: 700x400 Rotation Allowed
    MUST USE AN ELEMENT FROM PREVIOUS VOLLEY. MUST FOLLOW THEME.

Serve:

Comments/Crits always welcome.
    Hmmm, not sure about this one. I agree with O that the teeth don't really fit correctly in the mouth of the lizard. The smoke from the nostrils are alright but why smoking? What's up wiht the eye? Did you just change the hue of it? That seems a bit crappy, and i think it would have made more sense to change it to a color other than red. Red means evil, not FANTASY. Which segues into the text...What's up with the pixel font? I really really hate that part of the image. The FANTASY text is done pretty well and i think that's the only part of this image i like.

Willie, I'm depressed that you feel that way, but I suppose it just doesn't stand up to criticism.

This image was build using 5 different lizards. I used 2 horned dragons, a komodo dragon, a crocodile (teeth) and another lizard for the eye. I messed with the hue/sat/contrast/levels/curves of the eye to get it to where I thought it looked evil enough. I went with the black colour and the smoke for sort of that 'evil black dragon' look. I thought that an evil black dragon with smoke from the nose may have been a fantasy thing.

As for the pixel font, I wasn't very happy either, but I couldn't find anything that would have fit better. I know I probably should just not have included any other text, but I'm still learning .

Thanks again for all the crits guys. I've got the idea and the stocks underway for the return. I will put some work into it tommorow.

This isn't my best by any stretch of the imagination. The next return should be better, as I will have my computer set up by that time instead of using the parents.

Credit:aliceDEEH-Stock

Good luck with the next 'fantasy' return Pea . I tried to leave you alot to work with.