A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] tank move (working title)

Student

[WIP] tank move (working title)

thought I´d post for once something I am working at

it will be a strategy round based game for 1 or 2 players. I planned the basic concept and already some layout stuff. The image above is a rough screen design - I started today.
    I am working also on some tiles in 3dsmax in multiple states as the tanks (playing elements) can destroy objects. I´ll post some if they have progressed enough.

what I already finished are the playable tanks in 3dsmax:

a few renderings:
    The tank is rather cute- sized as it has to fit clearly in a block size grid. I created the texture in a way so that I can switch the key color before I render the sprites.

this evening I´ll start coding in Flash - updates will be posted in this thread

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Dang, that tank texture looks great. What resolution did you map it at? Your attention to detail never ceases to amaze me.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    That's a great look, render! The texture and model are both great and the little star takes some of the seriousness out of the killing machine! I like it
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

looks cool render.
    i dunno if the yellow tip on the barrel has any purpose but for me it looks a little odd. i think if the star (or something else on the tank) was yellow or the tip a little more metalic it might work better.
    just my 2c
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Amazing renders / texture renderhjs.
    Reminds me of Battalion Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battalion_Wars)

My only suggestion would be to take the star just a little lower so its on the body of the turet and not the edge. Anyway thats my 2cent,

Ill definitely be back for more
    Post you game for free at Gamestack.org. We send the user straight to your website, no iFrames or other leeching methods.

Please check out Gamestack.org for more information.

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    Incredible graphics!

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

Love it How will the gameplay be?

How about "Tink Tank"?
    I don't have a photograph, but you can have my footprints. They're upstairs in my socks.

Student
    I guys thx for the pleasent comments

update:
    interface progressed a little:

but today I worked on the engine layout,- at first I thought of a usefull xml layout without the need of any editor as I dont have the time switching or developing tools for that that can create/ and or read such data.
    so my 1st xml template looks like this: (here is the actual xml file)
    PHP Code:
    <map prefixTex="tiles/">
        <
    id>
            <
    tile id="w"     cost="0,2"     tex="water_1.gif,base_1.gif"    z="0"/>
            <
    tile id="b"     cost="2"     tex="base_1.gif"        z="0"/>
            <
    tile id="g"     cost="2"     tex="gras_1.gif,tank_renderings.jpg"    z="0"/>
        </
    id>
        <
    grid>
            <
    r>b,b,b,w,w,w,w,g,w,b</r>
            <
    r>g,w,w</r>
            <
    r>g,b,w</r>
            <
    r>g,b,w</r>
            <
    r>g,b,w</r>
            <
    r>w,w,w</r>
            <
    r>g,b,w</r>
            <
    r>g,w,w</r>
        </
    grid>

</
    map
    it basicly uses a reference ID system wich gives me the flexibility to change multiple tiles of the same type rihgt away. As I just need to edit them in the "id" tag. The tex (texture/sprite) , cost(action points required to pass) and z (height value for collision shooting) can be seperated by a "," and and thus can contain multiple states depending on the damage that tile has taken. E.g if a bridge has been shot once the engine moves to the next tile in the "tex" attribute, same goes for the other attributes.

the current demo only loads the sprites (with sprite manegement as it only loads once what it really needs):
    http://www.renderhjs.net/bbs/flashki...ystem_001.html
    right now I am toying with the tiling as I want to be able displaying smaler maps as the screen size centered, big maps eased slowly down when moving the cam to the corners ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Bryce
    What resolution did you map it at?
    2048*2048- no need to go bigger as the target renderings certainly wouldn´t be bigger as 640*480 - I only need it for the splash screen and within the game as sprite.

and here another rendering showing more details:

Quote Originally Posted by mickm
    Reminds me of Battalion Wars
    Advance wars was actually some inspiration but I want a completely differnt gameplay somehing more focused on just 1 tank but with multiple actions,- and action costs just like Jagged alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkOk
    ...the yellow tip on the barrel has any purpose but for me it looks a little odd. i think if the star (or something else on the tank) was yellow or the tip a little more metalic it might work better.
    The tank went to realistic in my oppinion so I tried to make it look more as a toy with signal colors. I think it´s a good idea signalizing the tip of the turrent so that even as very smal sprite (48*48) it´s still remarkable where the turrent is located at.
    But yeah perhaps it´s still not looking realistic enough.

Quote Originally Posted by T1ger
    Love it How will the gameplay be?
    a mix of Advance wars and Jagged Allience- but defenitly round based with cute and colorfull graphics. Will post more details in time

Ich lerne jede Tag etwas Neues Evaman's Avatar
    I'm thinking that this must be a fun little project for you. It's pretty cool looking. The tanks are "very" well done.

Student
    another update:

worked on the interface/splash, changed tile size as the tank was not very recognizeable in it´s tiny 48*48 cell.

coding department: got the tiling working somewhat:
    demo:
    http://www.renderhjs.net/bbs/flashki...ystem_002.html
    I need to fix my gap mechanics wich take in if you scroll very fast the map- but if you scroll smoothly it should work already pretty good. And it´s fast.
    The tiles are attached as Bitmaps wich are again dynamicly loaded so it supports single frame PNG,GIF,jpeg and swf files wich I define in the xml.

So jealous. Mad skillz Render.

Looking very good so far. The scrolling with the mouse movement is very interesting. Is this just to test, or is this how the game will work with all the other controls being keyboard based?

Ich lerne jede Tag etwas Neues Evaman's Avatar
    In the bottom right corners of your maps, I noticed if you go at a regular pace the tiles don't show up. Why is this?

Student
    yet another update

demo:
    http://www.renderhjs.net/bbs/flashkit/tank_move/demo3/

finally completed the scrolling hassle,- click on debug to see where it updates the map (red fade). The unique (for me that is) thing is that if you move very fast your mouse it calculates only the minimum area that needs to be updated (red fade).
    For me the scroll- performance already is very great and I am happy with it for now. Next on coding is pathfinding ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Alluvian
    ...The scrolling with the mouse movement is very interesting. Is this just to test, or is this how the game will work with all the other controls being keyboard based?
    testing purposes only- kinda lame right now imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Evaman
    In the bottom right corners of your maps, I noticed if you go at a regular pace the tiles don't show up. Why is this?
    cause at that time I had some issues with my reinvented scroll method- should be wroking perfectly now .

great work as usual, loving the tanks right now. Really like how the black turret base pops out from the orange hull. Really nice

may i ask, after all the board discussion on scrolling, you decided to go against the copyPixel method? are you using AS2 perhaps? Then again you may still be doing it, just in a different way than i imagine

good luck on the Path finding
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    I don't like the game layout. It's not that anything looks bad, but the border around the game doesn't really tie the name, the theme, and the gameplay together (actually most don't relate to each other). Are these temporary graphics you are planning on changing later?
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Student
    @ImprisonedPride:
    as stated in the tile WIP (work in progress),- many graphics are not yet done- and there isn´t any gameplay at all yet (so you cant even complain yet about it).
    Right now I am working on some tiles- they will improve for sure compared to what you were able to see so far. This is just my 3rd day on the whole thing

I meant the gameplay as I envisioned it, as well as that from other games in this thread (and I'm not complaining...)
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)

Student
    update:
    worked on some tiles:

demo:
    http://www.renderhjs.net/bbs/flashkit/tank_move/demo4/
    an rough editor is now included as well (in debug mode)

When you scroll down below the 3 mark on the y axis, tile 7,5 disappears. Other than that, now it's starting to look good.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

Really great stuff render and the engine runs very smooth. Keep up the great work. The tanks are looking nice. Very detailed, detail that merely add pixels but cost millions in the movie industry.