A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cigar Recommendations

Cigar Recommendations

I've started to smoke them more often. Anyone have any brand or specific recommendations?

I've liked Portugas so far...
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    Drew Estates make some nice cigars. Their Java has been my goto unit of choice lately...

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Cigars are like wine.

The taste, aroma, and finish I prefer might be nothing like what you prefer.

Personally I prefer the smaller, man-with-no-name type cigars (cigarellos?).
    Cojimar makes a wonderful Dominican blend from Cuban seed w/ Ecuadorian wrapper, sugartipped, flavored cigar that's very easy on the back of the tongue and goes well as an "anytime" treat or a nice dessert cigar paired with a brandy or cognac after dinner.
    Absolutely no harshness on the smoke of this one.
    Chocolate, Vanilla, Cherry, and Ameretto soaked (All natural oil extracts and liqueurs) are my personal favorites.

If you are into the old "fatman" type cigars, then one of the best I ever had was the old Cuban brand Bauza.
    Back in the cocaine cowboy days my dad used to have a buddy that owned a little fleet of DC-3's and brought these in from Cuba along with some other stuff.
    The original Cubans had a taste like none other and is probably the reason I started smoking decent cigars back in the day.
    The "modern" version of Dom filler/Ecu wrapper is still very nice and gets high marks from Cigar Aficionado's Cigar Insider, but is a little too expensive (and slightly harsh imo) for everyday smoking.
    Still, definitely worth a try if you're shopping around.

Best bet is to find a small cigar shop and have a smoke with/see what the owner/manager and employees are smoking.
    That will give you a nice "across the board" slice of what's good and what's popular at the moment in a couple of different budget ranges.

on the cigarello tip...al capone dipped cigars are my favorites at the moment. come in a little 10 pack and smoke quickly, but the taste is amazing and harshness is near zero.

I'm no fan of the fatties. just too much cigar for me. i end up lipping them too much and they get kinda icky and tasteless after a while.

other than that, a nice cheery woodtip (no plastic) has always been a staple of mine since i was 16.

Obviously the only brand you need to know.

On a serious note I haven't had a cigar in quite a long time now but I always enjoyed the medium sized cigars that come in the tin boxes. They last the perfect amount of time. Not cigarello small but not huge cuban drug lord sized either. White Russians were always good.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Hmmmmmm I'm away camping for two nights in a few hours. Gonna buy myself a few cheap ass cigars to enjoy by the loch
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Quote Originally Posted by robbmcaulay View Post
    Hmmmmmm I'm away camping for two nights in a few hours. Gonna buy myself a few cheap ass cigars to enjoy by the loch
    I cannot read this without hearing Sean Connery's voice.

Take that, Trebek!

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar
    I can agree with the cigarello thought... but when I am out with a cigar, and I know someone is going to have an issue I want the best smelling, and best looking cigar I can have. The Drew's are formed in a square. Everyone knows that you have something special...

They are not cheap though, even for a domestic... If you can find them for under $14 I would suggest you try one at least once. I am not a refined smoker, I just know when I like something. The aroma, the taste, and the look are all part of it for me.

My cigar guy tried to introduce me to a 3 tobacco cigar that was supposed to be a hard, med, and mild all-in-one. Let's just say I was glad he gave it to me at a reduced price. I couldn't even tell you the name of it. It just didn't give me the satisfaction I want out of a nice cigar. Like I said, I am not a refined smoker.....I just know what I like.

Let us know what you find that is good for you.

EDIT* Ask your local shop if they sell "seconds", it's a great way to try, otherwise, higher priced cigars at a reduced rate. Seconds are the same cigars that just don't meet up to the proper inspection quota of a "fine" cigar. They usually bundle them together and sell them off, at a reduced price, to shops that want to offer their customers a way to try something different without the heavy cost. It's a great way to try something new without the major hit to your wallet.

I'm impressed with the cigar wisdom here in the CL and happy to have asked.

My brother just got his Masters degree. So, we decided to celebrate by smoking a handful of cigars I had bought to experiment with. I gave the more expensive ones that I hadn't tried away and ended up with another Portugas. So, no progress on learning my taste tonight.

But, going to the beach for the holiday weekend and intend to try a few new ones. I have a lot to look for now. Thank you.

(I need to find a cigar shop. There is a nice liquor store nearby that has a zillion single malts and a decent cigar selection. But, nobody on hand that seems to know anything about them.)

Also, the cigarello tip might be good for me. I don't often have long enough to sit through a full sized cigar these days.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey View Post
    I'm impressed with the cigar wisdom here in the CL and happy to have asked.

My brother just got his Masters degree. So, we decided to celebrate by smoking a handful of cigars I had bought to experiment with. I gave the more expensive ones that I hadn't tried away and ended up with another Portugas. So, no progress on learning my taste tonight.

But, going to the beach for the holiday weekend and intend to try a few new ones. I have a lot to look for now. Thank you.

(I need to find a cigar shop. There is a nice liquor store nearby that has a zillion single malts and a decent cigar selection. But, nobody on hand that seems to know anything about them.)
    buy a cohiba. /thread
    * I could be banned at any time... [/evp]

A Dominican Cohiba or a Cuban?

A Dominican Cohiba is one of the ones I had bought and gave to my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by gshock View Post
    buy a cohiba. /thread
    Any post by gshock. </intelligent posts in any thread>

If you can get your hands on a Cuban Romeo y Julieta, you wont regret it. I've always been a fan of Dominican Hoyo de Monterrey as well. Talk to your local cigar vendor -- tell them what you're looking for -- they'll usually point you in the right direction.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

i smoke romeo juliets all the time but i still prefer cohiba. the only advice i can give u is to smoke slow and enjoy it with a nice beverage
    * I could be banned at any time... [/evp]

gshock, where do you get your Romeo y Julietas? Or, your Cohibas?

That will net about 2 weeks of silence...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Tried the non-cuban Romeo y Julietas last weekend. I enjoyed it. A lot spicier than the others I had tried.

But, after a run of smoking about 6-7 cigars within a week and a half, I got tobaccoed out. Need a few weeks to desaturate before I try another.

Banned
    do you really like to burn your money ?

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by CristiSearching View Post
    do you really like to burn your money ?
    do you really like to post on every thread in the lounge even if you have nothing to say?
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Banned
    If I don't smoke am I an alien ?