A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: next weeks apple event

haha, I agree about the name. And the one with lots of memory shall henceforth be known as maxipad

Not impressed.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

There's always zooming in. Who here honestly has a write-on-screen tablet bigger? Other then someone like this http://twitter.com/joeyldotcom
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    Honest question to the photoshop die hards out there. Would you really want to design wacom-style on a 9 - 10 inch screen? That's really small for any level of detailed work, I would think...
    Ever seen/used a Cintiq? Their smallest one now is a 12" one, matched with Corel Painter or Photoshop and I found it a nice size and comfortable.

As far as using 9-10" inches for Photoshop/Painter, I could do it for sketches. Rather use Autodesk SketchBook Pro and sketch out ideas, sync with my machine at home, and go from there in Photoshop, what not.

That's the ideal setup for me. This... sans multi-tasking, does not keep my attention.

Nice product but did not live up to the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Ever seen/used a Cintiq?
    No. Thus, the question. Interesting - looks like it still needs a local computer to connect to...

All of that being said, I still think this is going to put Apple into the road warrior laptop user market. Having that nice mix of power and portability will appeal to lots of the plane-riding business side folks I find myself sitting next to on planes most of the year. I don't think this one was meant for the creative types. They'll lose some street cred, but definitely pick up some market share.

Entertains you on the plane, works like a laptop with the keyboard dock when at the hotel, has 3G and wifi -- I'd buy it for those alone.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 01-27-2010 at 04:37 PM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    No. Thus, the question.
    I'm presently trying to secure a side project just to purchase one. I used one onsite at a client's location and have wanted one ever since.

The smooth back and lack of a way to "grip" it shows me that they're not really going for the "road warrior" types. This is a niche product that fits right where a lot of people wanted something that didn't exist until today. Mobile OS X, the ability to create presentations, send e-mails, surf the web, and do it either via wifi or 3G. The lack of multi-tasking also displaces this out of the "road warrior" types... and more like big iPhone.

I wonder if it will wobble when you place it on the table and try to use the touchscreen, like the iphone 3G does.

and here is the video on youtube

sketching is a regular hobby for me. I wouldn't do graphics production work on one but it'd be nice to curl up on the couch with one and be able to check email or manage netflix without having to put it down. Otherwise, any of my desires are already met in my iphone.

Kind of disappointed that there was no Verizon announcement. Looks like I'll just bite the bullet and get one with AT&T.

I think the iPad has its market...i think it's more of a Kindle/Netbook type of device than a laptop that you'd use photoshop on. I dont know if the current iPhone OS will really be ideal for that device but it will be nice once the next version comes out and supports multitasking.

They can't do anything with Verizon or any other carrier until June as they have exclusivity with AT&T until then.

The smooth back and lack of a way to "grip" it shows me that they're not really going for the "road warrior" types.
    Wow - I could not disagree more. From the features section on their site - http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/
    iBooks
    Mail
    Maps
    Notes
    Calendar
    Contacts
    WiFi
    3G

I'll check with some of my colleagues, but I think most of them would kill to have all of these things in a tiny, sexy, 10 hour battery life package that can be returned to office to sync with another desktop/laptop.

Not to mention the price point which makes it can't afford to NOT have rather than a can't afford.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 01-27-2010 at 05:29 PM.

wait till june, dont get stuck in a 1-2 year contract when your 4 months from knowing if you will have better options.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I know the contract with AT&T ends in June. There were a bunch of rumors flying around about an announcement involving Verizon and possibly a new 4G iPhone.

I never understood why they'd make such an announcement now anyway because it would put a big dent in iPhone sales from now until the switch to Verizon.

So do you all think multitasking will come to it with OS 4.0 or a 2G iPad? Seems strange not to implement it when that is one of the biggest request. I guess they would just get **** for the 10 hour battery not really lasting that long with all the BG apps running.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    I read this -
    Apple’s largely hyped iPad will not support the Flash plugin on it’s built-in Safari browser. This means there will be no free Flash games, videos or music on the Apple iPad. Instead, the Safari browser will show the missing plugin icon when an iPad user attempts to access a website that is Flash enabled.
    here - http://www.dlocc.com/articles/apple-...lugin-support/

I don't know if that is true or not, but if not, one would think that Adobe and Apple would get together on developing a plug-in for the Ipad Safari browser soon.

david
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Adobe's been trying, Apple's not hearing it about Flash. Blame Apple on that note.

And no... I don't think that multi-tasking will come out with OS 4.0 either. If it does, it'll be limited.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    and more like big iPhone.
    ...without the phone

I'm with you on wanting a cintiq table. I have used a Pen and Wacom tablet for years, and working direct on images would allow me to 'stay inside the lines' much better.

Ipad basically looks like a web-connected book reader to me.

david

btw...Here is a big advert for cintiq for anyone who wants to look.
    Last edited by david petley; 01-27-2010 at 07:33 PM.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.