A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exposure

FK Official Postman
    What would be the best places for me to find freelancing work?

The Minister of No Crap

In the Job sections of the Flashkit forum... oh, I forgot. Those were shut down. There is no good place. Sorry, man. Its hurt us all.

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com

Yes, we've all felt the loss of the jobs forum here...and as a way to help out some of my friends who are designers I decided to start a site. Let me know if anyone thinks it'll fly. If not it's not a big deal it was more just something for enjoyment.

I'm designing a site where freelance webdesigners can become members. Upon joining they get they're own web space, as well as scripting capabilities. The space is available for designers to put up small websites or portfolios.

It'll be a collective. A way to get everyone exposure. You'll be able to create anything you want and there will be a main directory.

The main idea is that people looking for designers will come here and pull up the portfolios. I mentioned the idea once before.

What do you think?

Wow - I think your idea is fantastic, my only concern would be that the rich get richer, the poor get no work.... if you no what I mean.

If the purpose is for contractors to find there saviors, then perhaps hourly rates etc should be published on the site aswell? Otherwise I can see that those with a high 'wow' factor people will be the only ones to recieve the work.

What about a search engine. The contractor could specify a price range, skills required (high design skills, asp, 3D, interaction etc), even design stlye or design application of the freelancer(crisp, futuristic, mod, corporate ID, decorative, popular(fad), cut'n'paste, gothic, simplistic, etc). And then the search could come up with a list of links to the matches.

What do you think? I love the idea!
    Madeleine

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by [-S|NiStEr_MiNd-]
    Yes, we've all felt the loss of the jobs forum here...and as a way to help out some of my friends who are designers I decided to start a site. Let me know if anyone thinks it'll fly. If not it's not a big deal it was more just something for enjoyment.

I'm designing a site where freelance webdesigners can become members. Upon joining they get they're own web space, as well as scripting capabilities. The space is available for designers to put up small websites or portfolios.

It'll be a collective. A way to get everyone exposure. You'll be able to create anything you want and there will be a main directory.

The main idea is that people looking for designers will come here and pull up the portfolios. I mentioned the idea once before.

What do you think?

Wonderful idea. Go with it!!

-scott

FK Official Postman
    Originally posted by nocrapchurch

What do you think?

Wonderful idea. Go with it!!

-scott
    yes, this would greatly help us all out.

Yeah I think as far as those coming to look for people to do work for them, they will be able to select a price range. It could be set up as sort of a bidding thing like some other sites. But the bids, etc won't be posted to the public until it closes. That was just another idea.

The main idea is to get wide exposure for a large group of freelancers. There could be featured designers, each week it would focus on a different member. All would get their turn. There would also be a directory by category, skill, etc.

You are wonderful! and boy what a great business idea...

FK Official Postman
    Yeah It could be set up as sort of a bidding thing like some other sites. But the bids, etc won't be posted to the public until it closes.
    That would be a good idea, making the bidder think about what to bid, and not be influenced by the others.

What do you think of the name Web Faction?

yes? no?

It's a good name..is it free?

That's always the hardest part..figuring out something with "pop".

Yeah it is...I was either going to register the .net or .org

Haven't decided yet.

but wait....

i just opened a board at http://www.flash-group.com/board
    just opened, but hopefully it'll build up with job offers, and some good developers too.

[plug]sign up if you like, add youself to the for hire... you can also win some sofware just for signing up [/plug]

kind regards,
    jeev :: operator@flash-i.com

Yeah i'll check it out...any work resource available is good.

I plan on launching my idea within the next couple of weeks. It's been in planning and development for about a month. I posted the idea once before

The Minister of No Crap

Now the thing that made the Flashkit.com job section so great is that 1000's upon 1000's of people knew about them. Any plans on what we could do to get that same kind of publicity for the new job boards you guys have in the works?

-scott
    [Edited by nocrapchurch on 06-10-2001 at 02:36 PM]

Granted..Internet.com's having cut backs and can't escape the "revenue drive" sweeping the globe.

But...

I'll never use DICE ever again after signing up and getting 3 spam / solicitations for every valid project / job offered.

I imagine that the Job Board attarcted a fair amount of traffic, allowing them to serve up more advertising and also hopefully the exposure was worth it.

However, I know personally I haven't been to their Dice board..and still recruit from the normal boards anyway.

FK Official Postman

Re: but wait....

Originally posted by rabsterb
    i just opened a board at http://www.flash-group.com/board
    just opened, but hopefully it'll build up with job offers, and some good developers too.

[plug]sign up if you like, add youself to the for hire... you can also win some sofware just for signing up [/plug]

kind regards,
    jeev :: operator@flash-i.com
    just signed up.

nice one. the more users... the more people know about the site... and the more jobs (hopefully) ..if you like the site >> spread the word, my friend

The Minister of No Crap

Just signed up too. Can you get rid of that pop-up window? Its driving me crazy. And how about making a newsletter that we can sign up for?

-scott

re: pop-up window // yeh i'll definitely do somethin about it. Probably do it later today (i'm piled up with work right now).

thanks for joining.