A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Hill detection

Hill detection

Hello,

I'm currently working on a game which will eventually require hill collision detection, as in my environment will not be flat and i want my character to be able to follow the different bumps in the path. Would somebody be able to point me in the right direction for this, I've been searching for tutorials but can't seem to find many on this topic. Ideally I would be able to use 1 movieclip which stores the path the character runs on however I'm really not sure how the collision would work.

Thanks heaps.

I very often find such vague questions in this forum. Unless the actual game play is explained it would be very difficult to suggest a solution. However, I am attaching an .SWF illustrating a bumping car. If you want something similar I can discuss about the program details:

http://www.gamesmostwanted.com/car-bump.html.
    <signature removed by admin>

If you're looking for curved lines, you may want to look up bezier curves and maybe polygons. I know Nape has functions to split up polygons so they look sloped.

If you're going for straight lines, again polygons but maybe vectors can suffice for your game.

If all that may look to daunting for you, possibly you can use bitmap based hitdection. With this you will only be able to detect a collision and not have much info about how to resolve it. It however enables you to use your art as a collision map.

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    I very often find such vague questions in this forum. Unless the actual game play is explained it would be very difficult to suggest a solution. However, I am attaching an .SWF illustrating a bumping car. If you want something similar I can discuss about the program details:

http://www.gamesmostwanted.com/car-bump.html.
    Opp, your right it is a bit vague, I'm wanting it so that, my character, which is a movieclip will collide with my ground which will also be a movieclip, but can be a bitmap (only if it matters). I want my character to follow the contours of the hill which I have drawn. The bumping car is what I want yes, if you've done it how I've explained I want it. Thanks.

If you want further information about my game please send E-Mail to:
    support@gamesmostwanted.com
    <signature removed by admin>