A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 3D interactive planet?

3D interactive planet?

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to create a 3D planet that is interactive?

Instead of a flat map of the world, I would like to put this on a 3D planet that, rotates and you being able to zoom in and out.

You would be able to click on certain parts (country regions) of the actual map and see various kind of information.

Is this remotely possible with flash?

Best regards

Yes, it's been done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by rynoe View Post
    Yes, it's been done.
    Can you show me some examples?
    Even a guide on how to do it would be much appreciated.

Any 3D rendering software, even the cheap ones like swift3d will do it, create a sphere, slap on a bitmap, drop in an animation and TA-DA! This was a big deal back in mid 2000's ish. I think then the rotating carosel menu took it's place in the 'whats the newest cool effect' catagory.

Download the free trial of anything that renders 3D.

BTW, Google has really cornerd the market on this nonsense, you can even zoom in and see pictures of your own house. If I remember correctly, you can plug into them and utilize what they do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by rynoe View Post
    Any 3D rendering software, even the cheap ones like swift3d will do it, create a sphere, slap on a bitmap, drop in an animation and TA-DA! This was a big deal back in mid 2000's ish. I think then the rotating carosel menu took it's place in the 'whats the newest cool effect' catagory.

Download the free trial of anything that renders 3D.

BTW, Google has really cornerd the market on this nonsense, you can even zoom in and see pictures of your own house. If I remember correctly, you can plug into them and utilize what they do.
    Cool, I was pretty much thinking of doing it like Google Earth, but in Flash, with not as many features of course.

Thanks for the help.

This tutorial might be a helpful start for you. It uses Away3D and you would still have some work to do for clicking areas on the map, but it may work for you.

http://www.flashmagazine.com/Tutoria...r_with_away3d/