Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: World cup Southafrica

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    ...ah well. OK, you (the collective USA) was robbed. If the USA doesn't get out of the group (which I personally think they will), then you can put it down to one disallowed goal

...instead of all the goals that were scored against your team in any of the games they played.

At least it has made more Americans realise they actually have a world-class, and high-ranking soccer team.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

the big issue is there has been no explanation
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post
    This is what Bob Bradley (USA coach) was reported to have said -

"Sometimes, after the fact, you get an answer, and sometimes that's not the case either. Sometimes you are frustrated because you feel that situations have not been handled 100% correctly or fairly, but that's the way the game works and you move on."

'cough' media frenzy 'cough' ...sells advertising.

If you google search this, for some reason Serena Williams and Andy Roddick's names seem to appear a lot with them voicing their outrage, like the true soccer fans they are. Oh, wait a minute, Wimbledon has just started, that sells advertising as well

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.

Hey david, why did the ref wave off the goal?

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    How would I know for sure? The referee did not even tell the coach of the USA team, so he is unlikely to have sent me an email.

I was watching the game, there was the normal struggle for dominance in the goal mouth ...grabbing, dragging and pushing, which was going on from both sides, but after the goal was disallowed, I assumed it was because one of the defenders who was pushed in the back by a USA player would have been in the path of the ball (and could have blocked it) if he had not been pushed. It did not appear to be an offside decision, so obstruction could be his (referee's) only reason.

...or the fix is in and there is a gambling conspiracy, with a bunch of referees and players involved.

A tough call, I agree, but so was Harry Kewell's red card and send-off for a handball in the goal mouth, based on a pure technicality, when other such breaches have gone unremarked more than once or twice in other games and have influenced the outcome.

I think part of the joy in a good match must be a team that wins regardless of the referee's dodgy decisions.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    RE: US disallowed goal - it seems that FIFA has acted and stood down the ref who made that decision (Koman Coulibaly) from any further matches in this world cup -
    http://au.sports.yahoo.com/football/...oal-stood-fifa

...makes no difference to the result. A historical blunder.

david

Quote Originally Posted by david petley View Post
    How would I know for sure? The referee did not even tell the coach of the USA team, so he is unlikely to have sent me an email.
    this is why there is a lot of outrage. if he had just made a bad call thats one thing, but to make a bad call, and not even explain what the call was is pretty aggravating

@silver - bad call or not, he has no need to 'explain' it to the coach, much like an MLB umpire has no need to 'explain' balls and strikes...to ANYONE.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    @silver - bad call or not, he has no need to 'explain' it to the coach, much like an MLB umpire has no need to 'explain' balls and strikes...to ANYONE.
    apples and oranges. comparing baseball and soccer isnt a very good choice, And even so recently an ump made a terrible terrible call, cost a player a perfect game. you know what he did afterwards, he was a man, said he blew the call, and apologized for it.

I'll ask you the same question I asked David, Why was the goal not allowed?

What was the call and who was it on?

in the nba, if someone causes a foul, travels, double dribbles anything, the call is made and the played is announced by the refs.

in the nfl, if a player holds, or is unsportsmanlike, of false starts or pretty much any other penalty the players name is called as is the penalty

in hockey if someone high sticks, goes offsides, fights the players at fault are recognized and the penalty announced.

In MMA if a fighter has points docked, for any reason the ref tells everyone why those points were taken.

in this case a goal was taken, and as far as i can tell, not even google knows why

apples and oranges. comparing baseball and soccer isnt a very good choice, And even so recently an ump made a terrible terrible call, cost a player a perfect game. you know what he did afterwards, he was a man, said he blew the call, and apologized for it.
    In MLB, a strike is called out of the strike zone - nothing happens.

That guy did apologize - didn't have to...wanted to. This guy doesn't. Period. End of story.

again you are trying to compare two things which really are not even close to being the same.

a strikezone while having a universal base size wise, is going to be called differently by Every single homeplate umpire. because of this during a game there will be many strikes and balls called incorrectly throughout a game(normally over 200 pitches per game), for both sides. the reason there is not alot of outrage every game all game long is because an umpire will call that same zone for both teams, each team will know pretty early on if the ump is calling a strict zone or a lax one. The same thing happens in basketball with fouls, sometimes the games are very tight and they call every single foul, sometimes the games are loose and only hard fouls get called, but it most cases the refs call it the same for both teams(except when the lakers paid the refs to make sure the celtics never get to shoot freethrows)

a better comparison would be what happened in this game someone was flagged for a some sort of penalty, the equivalent of a offensive pass interference call in american football in the end zone. The difference is that Nobody knows who the penalty was called on, or even what the penalty was.

...but it most cases the refs call it the same for both teams...
    Yes, except when the ref sucks. This one, evidently, did. FIFA has decided to exclude him from further duties throughout the tournament. All of that said, he still has NO responsibility to explain to ANYONE why he disallowed. So it is. Alas, end of story. To be honest, for US Soccer, this is probably a good thing as it's the only moment so far that has gotten the general US public remotely interested in the World Cup at all. Most people couldn't tell you the name of anyone on the team before that game. I heard even non sports fans utter the names Donovan and Edu no less than 50 times at various cocktail parties and BBQs last weekend. In the US, that would've been a non-event if the same thing happened to a non-US squad.
    It's really not the big issue as most times (in soccer) you don't get one. It is what it is - move on.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 06-22-2010 at 12:09 PM.

and if the US gets eliminated that will further distance the general US populace from wanting to watch it.

as it is i'm not a fan, I feel there is way to much flopping, and overall a total lack of action, but to throw in a total lack of ref accountability, yeah no thanks.

As far as ref accountability goes...don't these guys fear for their lives in some instances?

Silver... let it go. It was a ****ed up call, FIFA doesn't have a replay system despite being a huge money maker and everybody but the replay-friendly US has gotten used to getting screwed by those referees.

As it stands with me, they were robbed, I'm over it already and I'm off to pull for some underdogs now.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    I genuinely don't understand the outrage that one bad ref decision is generating. But it seems almost no one participating in this topic is really interested in the actual football ...just whether the USA was dudded. Well, too bad, you were. get over it, its football.

[rhetorical]I wonder how many of you have watched even one full game in the Cup from the anthems at the beginning to the shirt-swapping at the end.[/rhetorical]

Anyway, for others with a broader interest, the match between France and South Africa, which South Africa won 2 -1, means that neither will progress out of the group stage, while Uraguay and Mexico do get out of the group stage.

Team politics seem to have sunk the French, with players boycotting training sessions and generally behaving like a bunch of spoiled brats. It's good in a way, because they would never have been there in SA without a hand ball that resulted in a goal for them against Ireland in a preliminary match.

David, allow me to say there is no outrage; don't subscribe to any more hyperbole. It's bigger to you than it is to me it seems... and I'm the American.

If anything, the media here was hyped for a day. Days later, only you are talking about it. I'd have to say you've held onto it more than our media or even me for that matter. Only you and Silver perhaps, and he's arguing a different point by now even.

And to answer your rhetorical question unnecessarily, you'd be surprised how many people have been watching soccer (football/futbol everywhere else) since the days before Pele. The stereotype you and people outside of the US have continued is more wrong than right. Sure, soccer isn't the premiere sport in the US like our American Football, but that's mainly due to coverage, not enthusiasm.

And as I've stated before (which you've conveniently overlooked), we've gotten past it. I have, the media has, I'd suggest you take the lead of those aforesaid people/institutions and just keep it moving. You're the only person harping on it ad nauseum. Let it go man. Just let it go. I'm tired of wasting my time with simpleton rhetoric about a past deed that's never going to be revisited or revised.

Let it go. I have. As has many, if not most Americans.

With that said... France has imploded. Plain and simple.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    bah, I have been responding to posts here about the bad decision, not initiating them.

all im saying is if you are going to make a call at least tell SOMEONE what the call was.

I have not watched a single full game, i tried but i got really bored. Soccer is just not for me.

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    i have to say that watching the matches in SA is difficult for me to do for a whole game. I really don't like those vuvuzela. Such a noise. http://www.vuvuzela.fm/