A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Old Flash Intros

Old Flash Intros

http://www.blueglass.com/blog/the-6-...-flash-intros/

I cringe when I think that I might have said 'cool' when I saw this kind of work 10 years ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The thing is, at the time, based on what even the experts knew about the web, it was cool. We learned quickly chalked it up to experience but it felt right at the time.
    I like that bigspaceship created a site dedicated to the preloader. http://www.prettyloaded.com/

The best thing I think that has ever been done with flash is The Tokyo Plastic, Drum Machine.

Surprisingly it is still on the net and I still love just watching it.

Enjoy - http://www.tokyoplastic.com/dm.html

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN View Post
    The thing is, at the time, based on what even the experts knew about the web, it was cool. We learned quickly chalked it up to experience but it felt right at the time.
    I like that bigspaceship created a site dedicated to the preloader. http://www.prettyloaded.com/
    Some of those preloaders are still mother effing awesome.

I just think that for those of us old farts who been playing with flash and such since it's explosion back in 2002 needed to take a look at why things are the way they are now. Yea, at the time it was cool, but now its your dad's music, if you know what I mean.

Gawd I hated disco.

Perhaps if we cross our fingers, start publishing some awesome hardware accelerated stuff, make full use of the power of AS3 and stage3D, the pheonix will rise once agian.

Or.... It could go down the same black hole that java applets fell into, time will tell.

Here's to one more day in the sun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It probably takes too long until the credit card numbers are typed in if one has to watch a Flash intro first and people just don't want to spend the time or don't enjoy intros. The web is mainly for money spending and making.

The Tokyo Plastic, Drum Machine is awesome!
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Well, the "web site" as we once knew them is a rather blurry term when you think about. We felt around in the dark, wasted a lot of time and filled the web with a lot of nonsense. Though we learned a lot and grown to appreciate the "web app". Our sites became tools and now they do stuff and people get stuff done. This is a good outcome but arguably, when using an app there isn't a lot to gain in terms of user experience from a bunch of poppy zip zappy. One of the greatest quotes ever said to developers was "People don't want to use your app, they want to have used your app." Meaning the result was what they are after and we have to understand that we are for the most part standing in their way. That is not to suggest flash can't do apps better. I fully believe it can and we just need some one defying the trends just like we did with intros and preloaders to show us how. I still stand by my analogy that the internet is a woman. She's an emotional teenager right now who's always on the phone but not yet old enough to drive. Hopefully in her twenties she'll come to her senses.