A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help with portfolio movie

Help with portfolio movie

Hi Everyone

I'm getting in a right kerfuffle trying to get my movie to work.

I've put all of my portfolio into one layer and I just want to be able to pause and play through the movie, but I can't get it to work.

Can anyone help?

I uploaded the file here
    www.toves.tv/portfolio.fla

should have probably posted what version of FLASH you created this with....so people wouldnt have wasted their tiem tryign to help.

and just trying to PUBLILSH your movie...I get these errors:

Code:
    **Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=buttons, frame=1:Line 1: Mouse events are permitted only for button instances
         on (release) {

WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=15, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=30, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=45, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=60, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=75, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=90, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=105, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=120, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=135, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=150, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=165, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=180, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=195, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=210, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=225, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=240, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=255, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=270, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=285, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=300, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=315, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=330, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=345, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=360, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=375, Label=port
    WARNING: Duplicate label, Scene=Scene 1, Layer=Layer 5, Frame=390, Label=port
    Total ActionScript Errors: 1 	 Reported Errors: 1

where do you want "pause" it at? any given frame?

if you wrap everything you have now into a movieClip...you can do this easy..with an onClipEvent(onLoad)

Sorry yes, I should have mentioned, flash 8

I tried highlighting it all and right clicking it into a movie clip and it didnt seem to work, also, I'm not sure why I'm getting all those errors.

I did want to be able to pause and play at any time in the movie

OK, i've done that and re-uploaded

ok..Im on my way out the door to go to work (YUK).. I'll jump back on in about an hour or so...

this will be EASY for you.... from the look of your layout..you only have a stop or pause button...should it automatically "STOP" at each new "image"?..or should it just keep moving? until the PAUSE button is clicked?

Thanks whispers, your help is much appreciated. I wanted to keep moving through the images, then pause when the pause button is pressed, then start again when the play button is pressed.

ok......Im at work...

basically..your going to have to recreate your stuff INSIDE of a movieClip.

So make a NEW empty movieClip...with as many layers as you need. Then select EACH layer cut/copy ALL frames for that layer..and go inside your NEW movieClip you just made and paste ALL FRAMES onto each layer.

then make sure you drag this new MOVIECLIP onto your stage. and give it an instance name of animation_mc

and pt this code on it:
    Code:
    onClipEvent (enterFrame) { 
    	if (direction == "start") { 
    		this.gotoAndPlay (nextFrame());
    	}else if (direction == "stop") { 
    		gotoAndStop (_currentframe); 
    	}else if (direction == "rewind") { 
    		gotoAndStop (prevFrame());
    	} 
    }
    or if you want to use more updated code.

Code:
    this.onEnterFrame = function() { 
    	if (direction == "start") { 
    		this.gotoAndPlay (nextFrame());
    	}else if (direction == "stop") { 
    		gotoAndStop (_currentframe); 
    	}else if (direction == "rewind") { 
    		gotoAndStop (prevFrame());
    	} 
    }

then make some buttons a PLAY (forward), STOP & REWIND button:

use this code:
    Code:
    on (release) {
    	_root.animation_mc.direction = "rewind";
    }
    Code:
    on (release) {
    	_root.animation_mc.direction = "start";
    }
    Code:
    on (release) {
    	_root.animation_mc.direction = "stop";
    }

Hi

Brilliant thanks, have done as you said. The play and pause buttons work, but the rewind doesnt -

I get this error

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=buttons, frame=1:Line 1: Mouse events are permitted only for button instances
    on (release) {

Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1

lloks liek your "rewind button" isnt a button.. make sure it is.. and not a movieClip or a graphic.

yes it is a button

i've tried deleting it and recreating it but that doesnt work

are you putting the code ON the button?..or in the frame like its telling you NOT to do..

and without the .fla yoru currently working on...most wont be able to help you.

Hi,

I had uploaded it...

www.toves.tv/portfolio.fla

To me I tihnk I've put the code on the button - it's the same as the others, obviously I've done something wrong though, just can't see what

you really should .zip things and make them as small as possible for peapole to download.

I'll check it out now.. I hope this is the current one..and NOT the same one posted above.

ok..

well you didnt listen or REALLy do any of the tings you said you did...OR were told to do! LOL

1.) remove the on(release) code form FRAME 1 like the errors are telling you to do..
    (that means select frame 1 of you button layer and delete the code)

2.) second: you said you recreated the rewind button either you did NOT..or you did it completely wrong.. have you even looked at the button that is NOT working? you have buttons, inside buttons, with other code on them. (make it over, for real this time..and it shoudl work)

3.) you have code of this:
    on (release) {
    port.play();
    }
    on your buttons inside you rewind button... why? if I copy any of the other buttons and add the code for the rewind button..it works just fine.

Well toves... i´ve checked your site... i strongly recomend that you insert you flashmovie to a htmlpage and add a preloader.

Cheers
    /xzerox... Take a look at http://www.vmgcomputers.com/h75

ok, thanks whispers, it's working now. To clear things up though, I had recreated it, I had obviously just done it wrong. And I did follow your instructions. If I was an expert at all this I wouldnt be posting in the newbie section would I ?

xzerox_xzerox Do you mean the flash on my actual toves website? or this swf we are talking about now - also what are the benifits of putting it in an html page?
    Last edited by Toves; 02-17-2006 at 08:15 AM.