A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [MX][release] Flash MX zelda engine - giveaway

Student

[MX][release] Flash MX zelda engine - giveaway

I once created this Zelda LTTP (link to the past [SNES]) engine in Flash MX and learned alot about tile handling, xml and behaviour handling.

But I propably wont touch it anymore since I have so many other projects running now/ have in mind so that I thought about giving this project to this community

download files:
    http://www.burg-halle.de/~st2520/_dw...lda_engine.zip
    includes:
    fla, swf, xml, htm & bitmap files
    - engine
    - editor
    - code library tool

About the engine:
    test it online:
    http://www.renderhjs.net/renderhjs/Zelda%20engine/

here are some screenshots showing some interesting features:

Last edited by tomsamson; 03-18-2007 at 05:11 AM.

Student
    About the editor:
    test it online:
    http://www.renderhjs.net/renderhjs/Z...editor_015.swf
    (keep in mind that the editor was created for offline usage,- it doens´t work perfectly with streaming content)
    - hit space to pan the viewport
    - _code and _document are experimental panels or not even working at all

screenshot

panels and functions in detail:

and lastly the code library:
    http://www.renderhjs.net/renderhjs/Z...ode_viewer.swf

wich is just a display tool that reads out the 'code_library.xml' and displays some nice highlighting and explaination. I used this to introduce more and more behaviours while having always a reference on how I defined certain things.

additional Information

you can do whatever you want with these files but please respect the copyright of nintendo. So dont use their sprites for commercial projects.
    some usefull technical informations:

- in the XML sprites are stored using an id - tag. This saves lots of lines and is easier to read. so first you need to assign a library to a prefix or id. And then later use this prefix in the sprite layer to determine wich sprite layer to be used you need to add the '-' between prefix and sprite number (number in terms of frames of the movieclip inside the library swf file)
    code:
    <librarays>
    <assign prefix="br" target="sprites/sprite_bridges.swf" />
    <assign prefix="c" target="sprites/sprite_castle.swf" />
    </librarays>
    <sprites>
    <layer1 z="1">
    <r>0 </r>
    <r>0,b-1,br-1,b-1,b-1,0</r>
    <r>0,0,c-6,b-2,b-2,0</r>
    <r>0,b-1,b-2,b-1,c-1,0</r>

- when loading a map the engine tries to sort the sprites into layers,- that´s because the game mixes different libraries (swf file with one movieClip having a defined instance name). Meaning each library gets its own layer in the game. Those library layers together once again form 1 depth layer.
    - use the z attribute in the XML to set the height of the layer. The player itself is located @ 100. So setting a layer to 101 for example will put the layer above the character
    Last edited by tomsamson; 03-18-2007 at 05:12 AM.

i don´t have time to check it out lengthy (just coding on something), only had a quick look at it on your page for it,seems nice
    Generally thumbs up for sharing something with the community, you get a and of course a

hehe, i love the console interface (are you surprised?).

Anyway, i never posted anything in your threads, though i always thought they are REALLY interesting and good-looking; your presentation and dedication are impressive. You seem to work very well with both the code and the design, which is a great quality. (and you are a fan of mangas & animes like me, so you cannot be bad ^^ )

...so simply: thanks.

That reminds me my Zelda engine, but it was done in art based, and several years ago (5?), haha!
    Last edited by marmotte; 10-07-2006 at 08:52 PM.

Wow I can learn alot from this thanks.

Holy. Crap.

Isn't that a bit overkill for a Zelda remake?
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Haven't had time to check the source, but played with the demo and the editor... awsome work. I'm sure the source will be helpful for plenty. Was wondering what kind of game it was at first with the chick on top of the editor <jk>

hmm... yeah it should be posted on a different site, there are children at this forum!! like me...i didnt spend enough time to check the whole thing out

Quote Originally Posted by VENGEANCE MX
    Holy. Crap.

Isn't that a bit overkill for a Zelda remake?
    I dont think it is. Zelda is very large game, although it may look simpler then some 3D shooter. However, most time and effort is spent on the content and for that advanced editor is extremely helpful. Plus the engine is flexible and can handle much more then simple collision and scrolling.

Very nice work
    I will put link to this thread into knowledgebase.

9 Times the Fun
    Very nice, i'll go through the code later and am sure I can pick up some somthing useful for the development of my own games.

Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful looking interface.

I can't believe you are just give this away, for that sir you are a king of kings.

So what did you have planned for this? Was this just a learning experience?

renderhjs great work there and you rock! thanks.

marmotte, i also downloaded your art based engine last time when you share it in flashkit forum. was helpfull for a noob like me during that time

Student
    @ tomsamson
    thanks for the doughnut

na not by you,- after all you seem to be be a retro maniac like I am. Back then I couldn´t decide on the frame design,- if I should make it more SNES stylish or GB like- in the end it turned out to be something between those 2 with a yellow/ brown/ grey color to make it look more antique
    And thank you for your reply,- and yes I like your stuff aswell ^^

feel free to ask me any questions. I think the most important thing is always the concept- that´s why I usually post that many pictures/ screenshots in my thread. They sometimes can explain more than lots of code lines.
    So if you want to know something more in detail feel free to ask

depends on what you call dimension. I tried to make it as flexible as possible for me at that time (xml, behaviour, sprite libraries,...) that way its only natural that it can go pretty far.
    Its just sad that I dont have the time to continue this, way to many new things to explore.

dont exactly know what you mean,- was there a nasty advertisement banner or something?- I couldn´t know that as those are automaticly blocked in my opera.

thats nice!

I had some nice ideas in mind,- like a portal or website where everyone could create their own adventure episodes of Link all online. And share the games/ stories with others.
    But this was/ is far away from reality so I forced some energy into creating a world to explore- just a little kingdom.
    I just found some older concept and screenshots from the zelda fangame forum (doesn´t exist anymore) I posted back then:

the worldmap (so far)

pencil sketch of the worldmap

some custom designs for new sprites

character design Link (age ~ 20)

character design of princess Zelda (age ~18)

character design of the new Thieves Guild

Maybe I willcreate in the next semester an improved and even more flexible tile engine & editor with a complete gameplay to expierence- but at the moment I have other things that gotten my attention

//server image fix 07.02.17
    sorry can´t recover images for this particular post
    Last edited by tomsamson; 03-18-2007 at 05:14 AM.

EDIT: doh, i forgot about that but it's not possible to delete our own posts anymore... anyway my message was off-topic ^_^
    Last edited by marmotte; 10-11-2006 at 10:14 AM.

Student
    ahem,... erm... must have been the old setting back from april 2001- or it was set to that due to absence- should be working now ^_^
    Last edited by renderhjs; 10-11-2006 at 10:14 AM.

i don't know if its just me, but i have trouble viewing your fonts. I choose to use the default fonts but it messes up all of the text to where it is illegible because of the small size. so i tried downloading the fonts it said i was missing, and all the sites say i have to purchase them.

Student
    well just use a font you have & own. If I remember correctly I used a pixel font that came from a commercial collection.
    And if a bitmap (style/ fake) font was used its usually set to 8pt/pix size in Flash. You could choose in Flash 7/8 instead Arial (if you use windows) and set its rendering method to alias.
    I have some freeware bitmap fonts aswell (wich might fit aswell),- if I find them I can set a link here or upload them.

sorry that I haven´t thought about that earlier,- still I hope that it runs somehow at least for now, meanwhile you can check out this free collection:
    http://www.dafont.com/bitmap.php
    Last edited by renderhjs; 10-14-2006 at 04:44 PM.

thanks. was able to get it working with one of the 8 px fonts

i have a little trouble finding the main functions such as building the map from the xml files. i just dont know if they are on the root level or inside one of the movieclips in the file or anywhere.

if you could point out where they are it would be a great help, thanks
    Last edited by Flyingcow; 10-14-2006 at 09:39 PM.

How did I miss this thread?

Render, you are without a doubt, a born-to-be games programmer. If you ever choose to work in any other industry, you should be hunted down and crucified for your sin, as an example to the other wasted talent.

Shouldn't this be linked in tomsamsons sticky on top?

Student
    someone from this forum asked me if it would be okay using my editor design for a different project- and of course I dont mind.

here is a little sprite template for the editor:

it contains some icons/ designs that weren´t used in the final edtitor

and since I was already uploading those sprites and thus uploaded some splash screen designs as well
    Last edited by tomsamson; 03-18-2007 at 05:15 AM.