A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [PLAY] Bubble Islands!

[PLAY] Bubble Islands!

Hi everyone!

Ok, "Bubble Islands" (aka BI) is finally online!

Following the Independant Games Festival program (BI is finalist this year as "Best Web Game" there, check the link here), BI needs to be available online in order to compete in the "Audience Award" section, promoted through Gamasutra, IGF and Gamespot. The goal is to gather votes from the public, and become the 2007 winner.

So, here's the game, playable online...

This is the same version sent to the IGF with some very little enhancements; and since it's unfinished (yay, that's an independant game developement, what do you want...), we called it version 0.5; it's complete enough to be called a full game though! Look:

- 3 different game modes (so far)
    - 10 playable characters (so far)
    - Many secrets to unlock
    - 100 puzzles (so far)

You'll definitively not play it and say "i completed it" after 5 minutes, believe me ^_^ Just the puzzle mode will require several hours of your time... (unless you are a pro? mmhhh...) And the Arcade Mode is challenging enough, i guess..

Also, we planned many big things for the version 1.0, one of the additons is a full multi-player feature! Yes, you'll be able to play against another player in real-time through internet. Or watch them play. Or build, name and submit your own puzzle, also play the puzzle of the other members, etc... But enough, let's play the current version!!

Be sure to read the "manual" section, there's a detailed description of how to play BI... As i said, this is the version used for the IGF, so there's no online score, your own score and anything you'll unlock will be stored via flash cookies, on your computer.

>>> PLAY BUBBLE ISLANDS <<<

enjoy!

And that's terrible, as usual the offline version plays like a console game, and the online version like a slug version of it... doh.
    Last edited by marmotte; 02-02-2007 at 06:56 PM.

absolute perfection. Executed in such a way it reminds me of a console game. This is one of the best games i have ever played, i love the flowing animation, sounds and attention to detail which makes it stand out so well. Even the fact that transitions don't break in the menu system is great. The graphics and animation are amazing and suit the music and sound perfectly.

I just love it. Top stuff that.

sending it around work right now
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

That's great, did you base the game on PuyoPuyo?(or whatever the English title for that is)
    Like the comments say you'd never know it wasn't a DS game. It's extremely well-polished and Japanese-like - let's all try to make Flash games at this standard of quality. I think the future implementation of a multiplayer option in 1.0 will push the game even further ahead of the crowd.

p.s.Now go and make something more macho..

One word can sum up this game: Perfect.

I cannot complain or suggest anything, because everything was spot on. This is one of the best flash games I've ever played, and it puts most other puzzle games to shame. My favourite aspects of the game are: The gameplay (A+), graphics (pure eye candy) and the performance (It shocks me how fast it runs). Imo you've definatly stepped flash games up to a new level.

btw, best of luck in the IGF and congrats for just being nominated.

Viza

Ok. The arlam clock didn't ring and I'm still dreaming.
    I should wake up now.

About time

Excellent work babe, gosh, I remember this game way back when we were both young.
    It's come along a bit since then

Good luck with the comp blue, make sure to keep us all posted.

Squize.

...dishing dimes on an .fla! pointguard's Avatar
    Stunning...

Yeah, all I can do is parrot what everyone else is saying. Absolutely fantastic.

Give yourself a huge pat on the back.

Cloud RedXIII
    As said before, you've bumped up the level and quality of flash games. Awesome work and real smooth, gratz

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Great effort. Not bad. Not bad at all. Stunning visuals. Gameplay style is not my cup of tea, but the game as a whole is fascinating.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Oh dear if I start playing this I'm gonna miss a deadline.

I'll come back to it, but it looks amazing. What's the framerate? It looks pretty high to get that smoothness in the transitions. Congrats on being nominated for an award.

absaloutley stunning my little marmotte. It's all just perfect, and a special well done on doing such good music in as well, just a perfect package all round, bravo.

chris error x

yaaay, thanks a lot for your comments!

mr_malee
    Oh my... i should put your whole post in my CV, haha. Thanks!

EvilKris
    Remember, one of my dream is to make a Silent Hill-like game in flash (now i'm just waiting for some news about Silent Hill 5, dammit)! And yes, BI is inspired by several puzzle games, including Puyo Puyo and Nazo Puyo, also Plus Plumb.

Viza
    Thanks, the nominations should start in a week, but i'll keep you posted!

fil_razorback
    That sounds like the ending of SMB2 ^_^

Squize
    Hey babe, haha yes, i found some files of BI that are from 2003 already! At this time we were young, but... it doesn't look like we are that older nowadays

happinessSam
    ...mmmh, what you are asking is not that easy, but i'll try (marmotte goes on the floor and puts himself in a weird position). *PAT*

Cloud RedXIII
    Welcome to Flashkit, dear FF7 lover! :P And thanks.

ImprisonedPride
    Thanks for posting even if you aren't a fan of that kind of games!

lesli_felix
    hahaha, mate, i hope you'll make it in time then! About the framerate, the offline version runs in 59 fps. For the browsers, i had to bump it to +20 unfortunately. I hope it plays half as well as the offline version for everyone.

chriserrorplain
    Thanks for mentionning the soundtrack, i think it's really well done too. Each character has its own theme, and there are many different music styles. The sound part isn't complete yet, many sound FX are missing... i hope to add everything for the next version of the game.

Incredible. One of the best flash games I've ever played. Congratulations, I would think the competition was yours with this entry.
    Feeling chatty?
    http://www.mitsuku.com

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    Same than IP, I'm not a big fan of that type of puzzle game, but the production value, animation, etc a re absolutely stunning ! just to see my little angel victory bounce, I actually enjoyed going through a full level

I also like the subtle references to your "company" logo
    Incredibly well done, I totally think it was worth the wait

Now, give the link for us to vote

Totally awesome dude. Thought I was playing a DS game for a second. I wasn't able to listen to sound but everything else is great. I just love the character animations. Congrads on the sweet game and good luck in comp.

yeah,this game has come a long long way, i can remember playing the first rough version ages ago,too
    Congrats on sticking so long to it and polishing it all the time mate,i like the puyo puyo type gameplay, though its not my favorite, but you´ve also added the nice isle sinking feature and the character abilities and the whole game shows so much love to detail its a pleasure to try it
    Now go for it and win that compo

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Well what can I say? Its all been said already, but I have to comment because this is truly a stunning piece of work. The fluid animations, quality sound effects and general attention to detail makes this a real pleasure to play. As has already been said, this could easily pass as a console game. Love it

Ali

EvilKris
    Remember, one of my dream is to make a Silent Hill-like game in flash (now i'm just waiting for some news about Silent Hill 5, dammit)! And yes, BI is inspired by several puzzle games, including Puyo Puyo and Nazo Puyo, also Plus Plumb.
    Silent Hill 5? Resident Evil 5 more like. Though I wouldn't mind seeing a clone of either done in Flash (mode 7 engine???).
    Let me know if you ever get serious about doing it and I'll brainstorm over some script concepts with ya.

doItLikeThis
    CRISP LIKE CHIPS! Reespektaa!
    -Aditya