A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ezPreloader (preloader component)

ezPreloader (preloader component)

hi, I have a 'pre-made' ezPreloader component I created. (just drop the .swc file into your Flash directory.. and the component will be there when you start up.)

I find it quite easy to use.. (but I made it..so I may be biased) LOL

check it out and let me know... this may be an easier solution for you.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    original thread:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...0&postcount=12

component can be found here:
    http://www.dmstudios.net/demos/ezPreloader.zip

here is a link to the component in 'action' (so you can see what it looks like)
    http://www.dmstudios.net/demos/custo...Component.html

here is a link to the .fla so you can see the TWO methods on how to code the buttons (very easy):
    http://www.dmstudios.net/demos/custo...ponentTest.zip

and the component itself for all to use, (for feedback of course)
    (see attachment)

you MUST save the .swc file (name: simplePreloader_v1a_cb.swc......inside the .zip file) to the Flash compoennt directory.
    For Flash 8 go here:
    C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\Components\

------------------------------------------

Welcome to the simplePreloader component.

Desc:
    This component will give you a visual representation (both through animation & percetange loaded text) on how much of your content is loaded into it's 'target clip'.

Overview:
    it is very easy to use. You drag a component to the stage, and you 'assign' it a target clip (movie clip) to watch. Anything that gets loaded into this 'target clip' will trigger the simplepreloader to show and display how much left there is to load. When complete, the movieClip will disappear. Load another piece of content (image, swf or video clip) and the preloader will trigger again.

Once you have your component instance on the stage, make sure to give it an INSTANCE NAME. By selecting the simplePreloader instance, you can then go the PARAMETERS panel in the PROPERTY INSPECTOR and assign the custom values for you component & movie.

PARAMETERS:

1.) loaderColor: choose a #color that you want the rotatingArrows to be.

2.) percentVisible: choose to display the percentage textField or not.

3.) percentColor: choose a #color that you want the percentage text to be.

4.) rotateSpeed: number value that depicts the speed of the rotatation.

5.) targetClip: 'path' (relative or absolute) to the movie clip you want the simplePreoader to 'watch' and give results on. (Note: the path is /home to whatever timeline the simplePreloader is in)

6.) callbackFunction: lets you declare a function name that you want executed after the 'loading' is complete. (NOTE: do NOT include the () after the funciton name)

7.) alwaysOn: lets you decide to have the 'check' (onEnterFrame) running continuously.

(Note: it is recommended to run this default in FALSE (off) mode, and manually move the playHead to frame 2 on the simplePreloader component)

"TRUE" MODE: Lets you ONLY do a simple 'loadMovie()' on your target..and the 'simplePreloader' will do the rest. (but leaves code running all the time and can eat up resources)

Example: (alwaysOn set to TRUE)
    Code:
    Code:
    button1_btn.onPress = function(){ 
        containerClip.imageHolder.loadMovie("image1.jpg"); 
    }

"FALSE" MODE: (recommended) Means you have to manually advance the playhead to frame 2 in the 'simplePreloader' component, but does not leave messy or rampant code running.

Example: (alwaysOn set to FALSE)
    Code:
    Code:
    button1_btn.onPress =function(){ 
        containerClip.imageHolder.loadMovie("image1.jpg"); 
        simplePreloader.gotoAndStop(2);
    }

thanks..if there are any questions.. PLEASE let me know.. of course I enjoy the feedback.

update:

I figured out how to make it an EXTENSION so you can load it via the FLASH EXTENSION MANAGER:

p.s. dang you BUMS! I posted 3 threads for feedback over the last week.. and I got 0 (nada, zero, zilch, goose egg) replies! what gives??

Sure a couple views..

does it even work for everyone?

computer specs please?
    Attached Files Attached Files

-_-
    Great! Its really good.

-_-
    Extension. Because I'm not Admin, I had to us it. Thats why I hadn't commented before.

Its quite cool. I may use it on my new site, because I hate making preloaders.

Glad it worked out for you.

How is the documentation? easy enough to understand?
    options/properties easy enough to control?

lacking anything? that you WERE hoping to have control over?

do you use it in ALWAYS on mode?
    do you use the callBack function?

thanks for the feedback.

there should be several more 'ez' components coming..... next to be ported is the 'ezTextScroller©'

WOW !! Very sweet indeed Whispers!! this will be very useful. Works great on the following systems. - oh use the mxp file too.

w2k - flash 8 pro
    OSX 10.4.9 - flash 8 pro

Now you should do a tut on how to make components (hint hint)

its so easy you wouldnt believe.. turning it into an extension is even easier.

you just create your 'movieClip' the way you want it to work... adding properties to either be set int he params panel or by code..

right click the clip in the library export to .swc that more or less it.

I created the component a while back..just now converted to extension.. (just found out how)

heres what I followed.. then just looked and did it on my own.

http://www.flashstore.com/public/tutorials/mxpcreation/

this was AFTER I hade already;

1.) created my movieClip..so it behaved the way I wanted..(set-up to accept dynamic/user-input data to define functions/properties/execution)

2.) right clicked clip in library....Component Definition (to define the user-input vars)

3.) right click clip in library export to .swc

follow link above.

update: there a new edition to the 'ez' line..

I added a ezTextScroller component (.mxp)

for some feedback form anyone/everyone.

thanks

How do I get my preloader to look at only a portion of my site? I have an art portfolio site with a lot of images. What if there's a certain amount of images- maybe that I include in their own layer- that aren't preloaded? Or has its own preloader later in the file?

Here's what I'm using:

totalBytes = this.getBytesTotal();

loadedBytes = this.getBytesLoaded();

remainingBytes = totalBytes - loadedBytes

percentDone = int((loadedBytes/totalBytes)*100);

bar.gotoAndStop(percentDone);

if (_framesloaded == _totalframes) {

gotoAndPlay(3);

}

Thanks!
    Last edited by progfellow; 05-09-2007 at 12:38 AM. Reason: grammar

This is for feedback on the ezPreloader component I made,,,link posted above.

this is a PREMADE component...you do not need code..just fill in the parameters of the ezPreloader component. There are directions and documentation.

Oh, whoops! Sorry about that. I'll find a thread more appropriate for my question...

no problem...

basically where/how are you loading your images? Are they all in an external.swf? and you are loading the .swf into a _level or containerClip/targetClip?

or are you loading individual images into a _level or containerClip (target)?

There are links in my footer

'preloader 1 & 2' will explain alot for you.

also 'dynamic images'..

you CAN use this pre-made component or this..all code already done..just fill in the parameters.

(Note: As I realized this thread was about your ezPreloader I started a new thread in the newbie forum. Should I delete that or take this up there? The "edit" function is not always present on my posts- not sure why)

I just have the images in layers in my main timeline. I just read your posts about dynamic images and it seems pretty straight forward. What if I wanted all these images to load at the same time when the user gets to a certain point on the web site- say they get to the portfolio section and at that point they see a preloader while these images load? Do I just do some code that will trigger several empty clips to load once they arrive at that point? Either way I don't know how to make the preloader look specifically at those files/images. Thanks...

We can go there.. I was just trying to not leave you in the dark..just because you had posted in the wrong place....

and you can only edit your post for about 10 minutes after you post I believe..

linky? (new thread)
    and I'll address all questions there.

would it be possible to auto load first frame

I'm a bit of a newbie or at least code impaired. I used the ez load and it worked after a day of trying to figure out others that wouldn't work. thank you for that. I've got ten pieces I want to load into the container when the appropriate button is clicked. I'm wondering how to have the first button load automatically-or on clipevent (?). This is an html page with flash embedded in it. What and where would I change the code?
    thanks