A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Button Stuff

I have a movie clip that I want to convert to a button. When I click the button I want it to goto frame label "last" in the movie clip <which is the button too>.
    Any tips? would it be easier to leave it as an MC and create an invisible button over it and have that goto frame label "last"? I would need the code for that too if thats the case. Thanks in advance

HH

:waves: I'll take this one, guys...I know it's prolly too tough for all you.

mmkay...what you've got to do is:
    1. make a new button symbol on the stage.
    2. then select it and press F8. This will make it a NEW symbol. You'll want to make this one a MovieClip symbol.
    3. Now you've got a movie clip with a button on the first frame and that's it.
    4. go ahead and put in any frame labels that you might want in the newly created movie.
    5. Select the button again and put the following actions on the button:
    Code:
    on (release) {
        gotoAndPlay("yourFrameLabelGoesHere");
    }
    6. You should be all set. Just be sure to replace the "yourFrameLabelGoesHere" with the real names of your frame labels.

Get it? Let me know if you need anymore help...

It would be easier to put a button with just a hit area in your MovieClip. Then just add the code:
    Code:
    on (release){
      gotoAndPlay("lastlabel");
    }
    That should be it.

Originally posted by CJElven
    It would be easier to put a button with just a hit area in your MovieClip. Then just add the code:
    Code:
    on (release){
      gotoAndPlay("lastlabel");
    }
    That should be it.

hmm..i don't know about that...I guess if you don't want to create a new movie clip. But i think that you will have issues with layers and what not if you just put a 'blank button' in your movie clip.

I think that the way I suggested is best...but pick whichever you want

thanks, both worked for me. I used the create the button in the MC becase the MC was already created and it was the easiest.

Thanks again

HH

denizen, just for the record, I did the exact same thing as you did...but just reversed the order to use the existing MC. I've done a few times myself, to start videos and such. Usually, I just make sure the button doesn't go past the first frame in a case like that...so that they can't continually start the video over...it just runs once and then goes back to the first frame.