PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Flash 4 or Flash 5 for maximum viewablility ?

JirSames22
02-17-2001, 12:07 AM
I was speaking to the Beta tester for Flash 5 and he is of the opinion that sites created with Flash 5 will not really be the norm for about 12 - 18 months.

Flash 5 has some superb features but maybe it is not necessary at the moment. Most people (including the mainstream who are still new to the web and those who haven't 'surfed' it yet) wouldn't download the Flash player due to 'fear of the unknown'. So maybe the use of Flash 4 or Flash 5 is relative to what type/version of browser (with the player built-in) is most common.

What do you think ?

jelve
02-17-2001, 12:16 AM
When we redisigned our own site, we went with F5. Doing work for clients, however, we're still sticking with F4. I'm a bit concerned with the idea of a client coming back and saying that a lot of ppl 'couldn't' view his site. Most users (about 70%+) are using IE5.X which ships with F4. The upgrade is fairly seamless with IE, as opposed to Netscape but, if you can do w/o F5 specific stuff, you're probably better off to use f4 publish settings.
I had a report just today from a Mac user on Netscape who said when they went to dl f5 player, MM wouldn't proceed b/c they detected it as installed. It wasn't. IMHO, MM is not doing their part in either player detection or saturation.

DJ_SFinKz
02-17-2001, 01:58 AM
just imagine what you will bve thinking when flash 6 comes out lol.
I think flash 5 is exactly like flash 4 without the actionscript!!

these_pants_do_not_fit
02-17-2001, 05:53 AM
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/download/deployment_kit/

looks like a fixer upper???

Neelixx
02-17-2001, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the link, pants! But still, the deployment kit only directs users to a site to install the player. Which means... that still leaves the decision up to the user. Any normal, paranoid user will choose not too (for fear of what it might do), decide it's taking too long just to see this site, or will be frustrated because they have to do it themselves.

Isn't there a better way to do this, "Behind the Scenes"?

--Neelixx

Plus, Moock had something like this out last year with his Moock FPI (Flash Player Inspector). MM is still lagging. Read about it, and download it here:
http://www.moock.org/webdesign/flash/detection/moockfpi/