PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : balthaser fx , the homogeny begins

darkstar
02-23-2001, 12:39 PM
balthaser fx, flax, flashtyper etc.

do these spell the end of creativity and the dilution of talent?

How many sites will be published that all have that familiar look about them?

Personally i think its far more rewarding to create your own stuff.

As for balthaser fx , broadband only? they must be joking.
with a broadband audience, flash is not needed as you can use avi or mpeg or virtually any other format.

am i missing the point or are they?

Craig99
02-23-2001, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by darkstar
balthaser fx, flax, flashtyper etc.

do these spell the end of creativity and the dilution of talent?

My beta test password is still active for this thing - i found it limiting and pretty hard to get it to do what they promise..

Cheer

mg33
02-23-2001, 06:22 PM
Here's my take on that site:

Their site is extremely nice, I'm very impressed by the look and feel of it. The human voice is a nice item that really enhances it.

Here's my worry: This site is going to give non-artisic, non-design people a place to cut loose with no rules, no constraint, and no limit on the chance to really create some horrid looking site.

I can't imagine too many serious designers using this site, many will forever be die hard pessimists towards anything that takes the originality and creativity out of their work.

So I'm wondering, who is their target? I don't think it should be a big worry for those of us who are motivated, talented, creative, and are going somewhere wonderful with the careers we have/will have in Internet or graphic design.

It may give people the chance to run around proclaiming that the are a "flash designer" when they possibly don't even have the program.

I do imagine a programmer (nothing against them. They do incredible things that I can't do, and probably never care to learn) being of the "nuts & bolts" mindset, all heavy in the code and such, finding out about a site they can make a flash site from. They get excited, becuase they know they're not at all artistic, and they might feel this site will give them a good way of joining the masses with flash sites, while at the same time they can get by without knowing a thing about graphics.
They go there and make their sites, all chaotic and incoherant, and when viewed on the Internet they're going to have their own little personality (the site) chocked full of stuff that would make many of us designer types cringe. IE: text effects for no reason, terrible color choices, no alignments, etc.

But, like I started this out with, Balthasar has really created a great place for someone to make flash based websites. I'm not totally sure who that someone is, but it's an impressive site.

mg33

CNO
02-23-2001, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by mg33
*snip*

So I'm wondering, who is their target?

The insides of design magazines, the stage at Flashforward, and any other place they can promote their business. ;)

High gee-whiz factor, low functionality.

Hey, look! With this wizzy-whig device thingy, I can hit this button and make my text blink! That'll be exciting! People'll like that! At least http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/ will be happy.