PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Swift 3D vs Compression

Caey
07-27-2000, 05:02 AM
WHy the hell ...

Once I tested it: The size of the SWF-file exported in Swift 3D and the size of the SWF-file of the one made in Swift 3D and then imported into Flash4 and then exported again!

Result: Original Swift 3D file was 112Kb
but Exported Flash 4 file was 97.2Kb
That means a decreace of 13%

Then I tried even more! I reopened the one in Flash4(That was 97.2Kb when exported) and in every frame I made a object (F8) from the content.

Result: The file mass smaller! From 97.2Kb to 93.7Kb
Not that 4Kb is so much but I fyou have a heavy 3D site I can decrease the loading time!!!

Conclusion: Swift 3D exports are way too big!
Compression of 10-15% can be reached by:
- exporting the animation in Swift 3D
- Importing it in Flash 4
- Make an object of the content of every frame

So, I can only say that in a world of bites like the internet 10-15%-compression is Very Very much!

Think about it!

Added: If you have lots of time you can repeat the process over and over again! However, I tried one more time whit the files and I got 93.4Kb, I know I'ts not woth the time but Maniacs will be interested, tough.

[Edited by Caey on 07-27-2000 at 05:17 AM]

theMatrix
07-27-2000, 10:51 AM
Caey:

If you think your experiment is 'bad,' you should try the Vecta3D-MAX plug-in. It will redefine your concept of 'way too big.'

It helps to realize that .SWF exports from Swift3D are meant to be imported into Flash and then integrated into a presentation. In many cases, you can achieve even greater reduction in file sizes by breaking up the symbols and applying optimize curves in flash.

I recall that Flash has a geometry optimizer which is why you see additional size gains on export from Flash.

E-Rain is working on new optimization techniques, including fitting higher-degree polynomials to curved surfaces. You should see more compact files in future releases.