PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Client/Server Application

JMorrow
07-31-2000, 08:54 PM
My company is starting on a new project using the client/server model. Because the client is multimedia rich, we are considering flash as the development environment. However, before we make a definite decision, I would like to get some basic information about the more esoteric capabilities of flash.

1) Is there a way for flash to talk to a server through TCP, sending and receiving codes? Would this involve using another language with flash?

2) Is flash capable of doing streaming audio?

Regards,

Jon Morrow
Dyvic Innovations
President

Hadron
08-05-2000, 02:44 PM
Funny you should bring that up. I just created a VB application based on the same model. Flash will provide the audio and for the TCP/IP socks I used VB's Winsock Control. The flash ocx works pretty well so long as you stay above 256 colors

I dont know what experience you have with flash but it does have a key function called FScommand that allows you to export simple strings that can fire the following event in VB.

Private Sub ShockwaveFlash1_FSCommand(ByVal command As String, ByVal args As String)

From here Select Case works pretty well.

end sub

As far as the audio is concerned, I dont know if flash can provide audio sent to it after it has been compiled.

A flash GUI for your C or VB projects is very very nice. The ocx is robust enough for some direct interaction between the swf file and it's container.

Hadron
08-05-2000, 03:12 PM
"As far as the audio is concerned, I dont know if flash can provide audio sent to it after it has been compiled. "

DOH!! however the .ocx can provide media streamed to it from the server.