PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : vecta 3d-MAX plugin problem

fLaSh PuNk
07-31-2000, 11:57 PM
Hey, can someone help me?!?! I got vecta3d-MAX, and when I render I 3d Studio Max closes. It renders about 20-35 frames then just closes. I think it has something to do with memory. Could this be the problem? Or is it something I'm doing wrong?

theMatrix
08-01-2000, 09:36 AM
I've found this plug-in to be rather buggy. In numerous cases, I have been forced to render one frame at a time, then modify the scene (i.e. remove objects) on frames where Vecta crashes. Then, I have to render the deleted objects seperately and re-insert by hand in flash. Ugh.

Your problem is probably with Vecta.

gooch
08-01-2000, 01:25 PM
make sure you have room on your C drive. Even if you are rendering somewhere else Max uses it for cache. Rendering takes alot of processing so for 20 frames you pobably need 300 megs of free space.

theMatrix
08-01-2000, 01:36 PM
A good observation, but my problems with Vecta occur on an NT system with over 1GB of swap space across two Ultra II/Wide SCSI drives and 512MB of physical memory. Looking at the task manager in NT, MAX/Vecta are not even close to exhausing physical memory, much less virtual.

If this were a problem, at least on NT, you usually get a warning from the OS before reaching a limit where any program would crash.

Don't know if fLaShPuNk is using MAX on Win '98, where it is much less stable (better under 3.1).

hth

fLaSh PuNk
08-01-2000, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I'm using Win 98.
64mb SDRAM
776 megs left on C:

theMatrix
08-01-2000, 04:38 PM
Zip your MAX scene and either e-mail it to me or provide a URL where I can download it. I will run it on my system and we can compare results.

thanks!

Muti
08-02-2000, 04:35 PM
Matrix

Yes Matrix you are very right this is not a problem caused by the swap file. I faced this problem too. I am working on Pentium 550 Dual Processor with 256 MB Ram Ultra Wide SCSI Drive on NT platform. Vecta 3D has some bug which sometimes cause the crash. So I am working with Max and adobe illustrator combination + adobe dimensions. Do tell me what to do with this bug.

Waiting

Muti

[Edited by Muti on 08-02-2000 at 04:38 PM]

theMatrix
08-02-2000, 05:37 PM
Hi Muti.

Well, as much as possible, I use Swift3D. To work around the Vecta problem when I have to use the MAX plug-in, I get in the habit of rendering each frame separately.

If a particular frame crashes, I start deleting scene elements until I find the one that is causing the crash. Like occasional problems with Swift, it seems to be one object in one specific orientation.

I render the offending frame without the object causing the problem. If possible, I try to create a symbol from a previous frame and then re-insert the object in Flash. If there is a lot of intersection between objects, this becomes difficult.

I had to do this twice in a creature animation,

http://www.2112fx.com/creature1.html

but ultimately got the entire animation to work.

hth

fLaSh PuNk
08-02-2000, 06:12 PM
Is there an upgrade coming soon? For Vecta3d-MAX that is.
Oh, and to theMatrix. I just rendered it (the file i was having trouble rendering) and I rendered 10-15 frames each time then just put them together in flash. It seemed to work out fine after that. Now sometimes when I am rendering I just pause the process and then use, RamBooster to clear up some space, and it turns out fine.
[Edited by fLaSh PuNk on 08-02-2000 at 06:20 PM]

theMatrix
08-02-2000, 06:38 PM
There is a MAX upgrade (3.1) that specifically targets problems experienced by Win '98 users. This may or may not help your specific problem.

I have heard something about a relationship between IdeaWorks3D and Discreet. Haven't seen an announcement, so treat it as yet another rumor.

I have not recieved any response to questions about a Vecta3D-MAX upgrade - you might try asking yourself.

Good luck!

Steve Zytariuk
08-02-2000, 09:47 PM
64Meg of ram just don't cut it when your dealing with 3D modeling programs. I got 192Meg of ram and in 3 weeks i will be upgrading to 512Megs because 192 is just not cutting it for me anymore.

Note: I have a 350MHz PII Overclocked to 563MHz with 7 Case fans cooling it.

fLaSh PuNk
08-02-2000, 11:04 PM
Steve, 512 megs thats crazy. I don't do that much 3d rendering I just do some and export it to .swf I'm looking to add another 64 soon. Maybe 128 more.

Hey email me about that overclocking. I have a pII 350 on a ASUS P3BF (I think I cant remember :P ) But send me an email about how you did it. (I want speed!) Email me here. LFwheels@hotmail.com

Steve Zytariuk
08-04-2000, 05:39 PM
Ram is everything, in my opinion. I think that if you ram max's out a lot then you should keep doubleing the amout that you have. :D