PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : PowerMAC G4 Cube ---> good?

Nik128
04-18-2001, 08:23 PM
I'm looking forward to buy one MAC soon and place it next to my PC 700MHz.

Does anyone own PowerMAC G4 Cube ? I can't decide whether to go for Cube or just power mac G4, but Cube is looking great and is pretty compact.

I need more information from guys owning some Power MACs :D

8minus8
04-18-2001, 10:23 PM
well i would go with the power mac. the cube's are nice, i don't own one but they are really small. which makes you wonder about expansion issues, like more memory, more graphic cards, etc. just thinking in the long run. plus i've heard that they are a bit noisy. is that true? well i've never used one, but being that compact has some positives as well as negatives.

me i have a power mac g4 and will be saving up for the powerbook g4. :)

Hackey Sack
04-18-2001, 10:41 PM
Another problem with the cube is I here if you are using flash it can randomly crash!

riceraver
04-18-2001, 11:28 PM
The cube looks uber cool. But people don't know about the massive external power source either.

With the price, i would rather get tower g4 system. Not only price, but expandability. PCI slots, better video card, etc...

me2222
04-19-2001, 04:45 AM
Hi,
I donīt have a Cube, but if I were you Iīd buy a G4 Multiprocessor System (I have a G4 450 MP). Wait until G4īs are shipped with OSX.

Currently most apps donīt really support multiprocessing, but MacOSX does it on its own.
It boosts every app to its max on a MP system.

doktorevil
04-19-2001, 05:29 AM
Hi There folks,

I do happen to own a cube. And apart from the looks, it is doing fine! Got a 450 / 512/ 20 Gb / DVD and added an usb cd-burner and the Harman Kardon soundsticks. No complains from me. But when I was purchasing the Cube I was well aware of its limited expansion possibilities. Because of its size there is just no room for extra videocard or a card at all! All expansions (except evtra memory)go only by firewire or USB. To me that is not a problem. I am using it solely for fun ! So if u are looking for a powerfull alternative for an iMac or for something that looks great, performes even better....well look no further.

Little Ben
04-19-2001, 05:59 AM
I work in a Graphic Design studio and our Cube is used purely for showcasing work to our clients. It is powerful enough to run video and full screen flash etc and looks stunning.

If I wanted a practical machine I would buy a G4 Tower though.

Nik128
04-19-2001, 02:56 PM
thanks everyone !
I know about tower Mac G4, my brother uses those at college.
I'll probably go with tower, expandability is definitely important to me. I've also heard of that OSX system, hope it comes out soon.

so cube's are more for fun, although they may be powerful but hard to expand. This was the information that I needed, thanks again :)

jdura99
04-19-2001, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Nik128
thanks everyone !
I know about tower Mac G4, my brother uses those at college.
I'll probably go with tower, expandability is definitely important to me. I've also heard of that OSX system, hope it comes out soon.

so cube's are more for fun, although they may be powerful but hard to expand. This was the information that I needed, thanks again :)

OSX is already out.

Josh Dura

bobajobrob
04-20-2001, 04:45 PM
I heard that all the G4 cube designers were sacked from macintosh for making such a balls up of it. As for buying one, buy a PC that's 3 times faster and more reiable for the same price.

eyedea
04-20-2001, 05:07 PM
just a quick note to bobajobrob:
give me a MAC over a PC any day!!
The G4 is definetively the perfect graphics set up!!

bobajobrob
04-20-2001, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by eyedea
The G4 is definetively the perfect graphics set up!! [/B]
Then why are all high-end graphics workstation (SGI and sucklike) based on PCs?
Like you said, each to their own!

Nik128
04-21-2001, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by bobajobrob
I heard that all the G4 cube designers were sacked from macintosh for making such a balls up of it. As for buying one, buy a PC that's 3 times faster and more reiable for the same price. I already have two PC's, and one is 700MHz, I'm not having any problems except that my network goes sometimes down on Win98.
Like I said, Tower G4 MAC standing by my PC would be perfect, each has different purposes, and working with both wouldn't hurt at all.

Nick

m6221zma
04-23-2001, 09:55 AM
go for the tower my man, I've been a mac user for about 10/11 years - and yes i also use pc's the cube cute as it is sucks a bit for xpansion, top loading cd/dvd (urgh!!)

the multi processor g4 tower is a very good buy and almost as fast as the top of the range.

with regards to speed mac vs pc a 733mhz g4 is faster than a 1.5ghz pentium 4(honest guv) the reason being something to do with the way it's measured - blah blah blah

m6221zma
04-23-2001, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by bobajobrob
I heard that all the G4 cube designers were sacked from macintosh for making such a balls up of it. As for buying one, buy a PC that's 3 times faster and more reiable for the same price.

a quik note

the new 733MHz PowerPC G4 processor with Velocity Engine is up to 57% faster than a 1.5 GHz Pentium 4.

note ends