PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : More compatibility issues Mac/PC

khobrien
04-24-2001, 05:23 PM
I first checked to see if anyone had my specific problem, haven't found it so here goes:
I developed a multimedia CD for a client who wants both Mac & PC format. I have a PC at home, so that was my platform. I have opened swf files successfully on my Mac at work after developing them at home, so I didn't think there would be a problem.
The original FLA file is very large, about 100MB, due to the large number of photos that were used. I wanted the best quality, so I imported them as png files at 96dpi. There are two music tracks and the CD runs for a little over 6 minutes.

The PC exported swf file (and exe file) is beautiful, it compresses to 19mb, the photos look great, music is stereo, all is good. I open the swf file on the Mac and it tries to open the file in QuickTime. With a little work, I got it to open in the Flash Player, but there is no sound and the file seems to freeze up after about 15 seconds. I opened the FLA file in Flash 5 for the Mac, re-saved it and also re-saved the music tracks and exported those out (which are swf movies that play inside the main movie).

After many memory crashes trying to export the file, I bumped up the Flash memory to 200000K and I was finally able to export it, but I had to compress the jpg quality to 50% and reduce the sound quality from 44khz stereo to 24khz, and from best quality sound to medium.

The file still locks up after about a minute, and it has no sound when I play it.

I did notice some font compatibilty issues, and I got a warning that some text will not appear unless I use a Mac font, so I'm taking care of that, but the sound should still work, shouldn't it? And why the freezing? Anyone have these problems? I also increased the memory on the Flash player to 40000K.

jubeik
04-24-2001, 11:38 PM
In the publish settings in FLASH you should be able to export a .hqx (I believe) whch should play on the mac in much the same way an .exe does.

bobajobrob
04-24-2001, 11:54 PM
I know this is not what you want to hear, but flash is not really intended for files that big. I think you will always have problems when working with files of that size in flash, especially on the macintosh, with its poorly written flash player and memory problems. However, if you had a copy of director handy, you could maybe import some SWFs and the sound files into that. Director projectors on the mac are very reliable i find, even if they're not as fast as on a PC...

khobrien
04-25-2001, 02:28 PM
You are probably right, but I managed to get it to run. It turned out that I had so many font conflicts after all, that the export would freeze up, thus the sound never had a chance to load.

I changed all my fonts to cross-platform fonts, but I had to do it on the pc. If I tried to change the fonts on the Mac, Flash would freeze up my whole computer and I was not able to save.

Once I got the fonts changed I was able to bring it over to the Mac, re-save the file and export it out to 20khz sound and 50% jpg quality. The final swf file is under 3MB, and it still runs slow, but it runs ok.

It seems that Flash is more of a PC application. I was reluctant to do a job of this size in Flash, but it runs so well on a PC I couldn't believe it. I've tested it on other PCs, even PC laptops and it plays great. The trick is, make sure the PC is a newer model with a decent graphics card.

Oh, in reference to doing Publish to Macintosh Projector from the PC, (a thread from jubeik) it may work now that I have the fonts changed. I had tried that before and all the Flash player would display was a white screen.

Originally posted by bobajobrob
I know this is not what you want to hear, but flash is not really intended for files that big. I think you will always have problems when working with files of that size in flash, especially on the macintosh, with its poorly written flash player and memory problems. However, if you had a copy of director handy, you could maybe import some SWFs and the sound files into that. Director projectors on the mac are very reliable i find, even if they're not as fast as on a PC...