PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : please help! can't load new .swf with AOL browser on mac!

karen_ay
04-25-2001, 05:27 PM
I try to load new .swf into my logon page. It work perfectly on netscape and IE but not with AOL on Mac. Please help! Thanks!
http://www.ltrol.com/karen_upload/logon.html

PAlexC
04-25-2001, 05:46 PM
You worry about AOL users?

Tell 'em to open IE or Netscape while they're logged on to AOL and use a real browser.

theallan
04-26-2001, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by PAlexC
You worry about AOL users?

Tell 'em to open IE or Netscape while they're logged on to AOL and use a real browser.

Yep, good solid advice there PAlexC. Although you should try and cater for everyone there are a few exceptions. AOL is a pain, a royal pain. But there is nothing that we can do since so many people use it.

Try doing a test either flash method or javascript to make sure the user has the flash 4 or 5 plugin. If the test fails (and it sound like it will) you'll need to set up a non flash version of your site.

Sorry but there not to much more to do I am afraid (or has anyone else got any ideas).

Allan

Ray Beez
04-26-2001, 02:31 PM
AOL users = 29 million people. That is not a number to ignore. I run a game site and I've found that I get thousands of visitors from AOL. It's a significant chunk of my traffic, and consequently my site revenue.

theallan
04-27-2001, 05:55 AM
Does AOL 5 and 6 not include a better browser than 4's ripped of IE version 3 (or what ever).

Ray Beez
05-03-2001, 04:31 PM
AOL 6.0 uses whatever IE components you have installed. So if you have 5.5, then the AOL software uses 5.5 components in its own browser. By default it apparently supports Flash 4, but again, if you installed Flash 5 for IE, then AOL 6.0 will support Flash 5.

I have discovered though, that some people are using AOL 5.0 which has support for Flash version.................

.............roll drums, this will make you freak.......

...... VERSION 2!

magiksound
05-04-2001, 04:56 AM
Tried it with AOL5, PowerMacintosh, 8.1 OS, with flash 5 installed directly to the aol browser, seem to work great, cute site