PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Remote Access software?

kenyattaniles
05-03-2001, 03:19 PM
Does anyone know of any remote access software for the macintosh?

me2222
05-03-2001, 04:44 PM
Hi,
not sure what you mean, but "remote access" is a part of MacOS, you can (re)install it from your System CD
Itīs the needed stuff to connect to the internet via modem.

kenyattaniles
05-04-2001, 02:08 PM
I do remember a particular software that the mac had, but I don't think they are selling it anymore. If it's built into the MacOS which one is it? and HOW, I know of the remote access control panel, but I haven't come across document that details how to do it.

I would like to dial into another mac from a remote location.

8minus8
05-04-2001, 03:21 PM
do you mean apple share?

you're remote access can be found in the control panel, i'm not exactly sure if this is what you were asking for. i'll look around and see what i can find. :)

kenyattaniles
05-04-2001, 04:51 PM
nah, not appleshare (that's for hopping onto the network and access printers and servers.

Here's a case scenario.

I'm at home (location A)
I have some files that I'm working on.

I go to work (location B)
I would like to access my home computer in location A from location B. I used to have some documents that I grab online a while ago but I can't seem to locate them.

I know how to do it via an NT workstation but I want to deal with macs, and probably eventually Linux

bardley
05-05-2001, 05:33 AM
about 5 years ago when i was working for a company interstate my boss and i used remote access to transfer files and at that time i think it was an additional purchase.

it seems now it comes standard with the operating system, i'm using OS9 and i opened the remote access panel in my control panels and clicked on the little help button in the bottom right hand corner and it seems with the right settings you can do what you want to do. try it.

me2222
05-05-2001, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by kenyattaniles
nah, not appleshare (that's for hopping onto the network and access printers and servers.

Here's a case scenario.

I'm at home (location A)
I have some files that I'm working on.

I go to work (location B)
I would like to access my home computer in location A from location B. I used to have some documents that I grab online a while ago but I can't seem to locate them.

I know how to do it via an NT workstation but I want to deal with macs, and probably eventually Linux

I think this job will do the "web sharing" control panel and itīs extension.
Iīm sorry, that I canīt tell you more, but I never needed it nor used it.
If your "Mac help" is installed correct, you can get good information:
- change to "finder"
- open menu "help / mac help" or shortcut "apple-?"
- the mac help opens now. click on "Internet and network" to get a list of appropriate help topics.

hope it helps
Markus