PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Importing music

johnblaze74
05-04-2001, 11:02 PM
ok what file type do u use to import into into flash! i downloaded a few sounds from flashkit and my mac turns them into quicktime and i cant import those!

bardley
05-05-2001, 05:21 AM
your mac won't convert them into quicktime it's just using the quicktime icon to display them. they are probably wav files as most pc users use that file type. aiff files are a more common sound file on the mac.

i'm pretty sure flash will import wav files so you shouldn't have to do anything to the files maybe just stick a .wav on the end of the file name, or .aif depending on what it is (it should tell you where you got them from)

otherwise upgrade to quicktime pro it's the best 29.99 you'll ever spend then you can export sound files as aiffs.

me2222
05-05-2001, 06:36 AM
Hi johnblaze74,

the manual (Flash5) says that you can import WAV files on Mac, but only if Quicktime4 or higher is installed on your system.

To convert soundfiles on Mac you donīt need QT pro.
Thereīs a little freeware tool "SoundApp" that can convert to and from a large list of different sound files.

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~franke/SoundApp/

Markus

budgie
05-09-2001, 01:05 AM
When u d/l from FK, choose the MP3 version. Smaller files = quicker downloads. Furthermore, Flash 5 will import MP3s directly with no mucking about. When saving your Flash project out as a SWF, override the compreesion settings and compress your sounds right down. This will make your file smaller and your viewers happier.

For example, i resampled a 1.1 MB MP3 (using SoundJam), going from 44.1 kHZ to 8 (!) and 16 bit to 8 bit*, down to 68kB. After cutting the piece (using the freeby mEdit from http://www.mcode.de/edit/ ) i wanted from it and importing it into my project, my .swf file was ~90kB. Using an unresampled bit of MP3 it was about 400 kB.

*I know that I compressed the ****e out of it. However, given that it was the Lost In Space theme, it'll be recognisable no matter what :-)