PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Lunix / Unix Ditribution for Mac > ?

amd
05-16-2001, 01:21 AM
Hi

I have a Mac G4 500 OS 9.1 and Im getting into some PHP coding for my site and would like to be able to test scipts localy by using a *nix installation on my Mac with PHP and Mysql.

What I want to do i s run something like apache (without installing OSX) on the linux and test the scripts while I work... is it possible?

any links and/or info would be great,

Thanx

Andre(amd)

fpanko
05-19-2001, 12:24 AM
heheh,
you had to say without osx. haha. I've been looking into this for a while and honestly, osx seems to be the only way to go. Even PC user usually need to upload files to the server to test. You can however set up apache,MySQL, and PHP all on osx and simply test scripts on your desktop. There is actually a good tutorial on how to set all this up on webmonkey.com if you change your mind.

amd
05-21-2001, 10:17 PM
I actually found this app that is called WebTen by http://www.tenon.com its a modofied apache and suppots php 3 and php 4, though theres no mysql for Mac :(

so instead of installing OSX i installed virtualpc 4 and installed win2k and php and mysql into it, hahaha

well , it helps me for a bit ;)

check it out.. http://www.nydma.com/concept/wininmac.html

Andre (amd)
[Edited by amd on 05-21-2001 at 10:19 PM]

fpanko
05-22-2001, 01:07 PM
glad to see you found another solution. i actually do my MySQL admining through virtual PC. For the most part it works fine. I'm just weary of orverusing it. I've had bad experiences with Virtual PC before and lost some files. I am using it for simple stuff now though. If it does the job for you, more power to you. I'd just be causious and back up those files on a server when possible.
good luck, frank

amd
05-22-2001, 02:27 PM
oh cool , i thought i was insane for doing this.. hehe

what i think im going to do is write all the scripts on my mac and then have a shared folder on th virtualpc that way its backed on the mac drive on the pc drive and on the server...

the thing that sucks is that i found an application called WebTen a modified apache for Mac, it supports PHP 4 and is quite fast but theres no MySQL for Mac :(

is there?

Andre (amd)

psychlonex
06-05-2001, 03:59 PM
Hmm. You can always install darwin or linuxppc. I'd suggest dumping vpc, and creating a new partition to install either if the above on. Or you could install osx on that partition :)

I got php and mysql running when the osx beta came out, it was a total pain in the arse, but I think they've (mysql) built a new version that works better with osx.

Darwin would be the best bet, it takes the least amount of space, is free, and is basically osx without any sort of gui.

If you need help with any of this, email me.
psychlonex@yahoo.com

good luck!

amd
06-06-2001, 10:11 PM
where can i get darwin? i have a seperate hard drive to install it into but would i lose all the info on it?

i like having VPC because i can test some sites on it which is cool, and i dont have any problems with it...

i got it to start installing red hat linux but i dont know how i can get an ISO file to mount on my Mac :(

THanx

Andre(amd)

psychlonex
06-18-2001, 10:51 AM
I think you can get Darwin at Apple's site: http://www.opensource.apple.com/

You can get an ISO to mount in VPC by first launching VPC, and then Hold the Command key, and drag the ISO onto
the floppy icon at the bottom. I think...

The problem with Darwin/linuxPPC, etc, is that you can't use Unix and Classic OS at the same time. OSX...YEAH!!

Let me know how it works.

Psx

amd
06-18-2001, 04:50 PM
I was able to install red hat linux o thru VPC the only thing I came up against is that i needed to create a boot disk to load the OS and for some reason red hat installation would not read an empty floppy img thta i created to hold the data into it, so i installed it on a friends comp and copied the file to my mac and VOILA :)

still have to play with it a little but better then nothing :)

ill let you know how it goes...

Andre (amd)

jahronch
06-20-2001, 12:48 PM
What about http://linuxppc.org/ ?

I've heard that there is Linux for Mac there.

fpanko
06-20-2001, 01:45 PM
I've tried that. Linux ppc makes you wipe out your computer, repartition your drive, put all your file back on your computer, reboot into linux and hopefully you already know how to use linux because you won't get any help. Darwin or OSX are both more versitile and easier to use. If you have a junk box somewhere, and feel like experimenting, then linux ppc might be alright for you.

amd
06-20-2001, 05:26 PM
Yikes!

i have way too much info to wipe the drive clean. :(

I would buy OSX but im out of cash specially 129.99.
I would really like to use redhat linux though, tried installing it with VPC but for some reason it wont work with floppy images. so im out of luck there.

have to rely on my peecee for it.. :(

Andre (amd)