PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : what is wddx?

PilotX
06-05-2001, 08:29 AM
Hi all
dunno if it`s right place to ask here!
I heard of wddx..since I am fairly new db stuff...could somone please point me what it is all about and where can I download sample fla?
thanks
PilotX

sln7w
06-05-2001, 01:55 PM
WDDX is Web Distributed Document eXchange, it is specific type of XML for people that don't want to screw around with parsing and would prefer to just do what XML is good for; passing complex data between servers and languages.

The idea is that instead of focusing on some user defined hierarchy you focus on programming objects and use XML to transfer those between servers and langauges.

For example.... I'm a big fan of ColdFusion, have been since version 1. With ColdFusion you can very easily query a database (Acces, SQL Server, Oracle, whatever) and have the results stored in an array. Here's a problem.... How do I transfer a ColdFusion array to Flash or Javascript or PHP or ASP or JSP or COM or Java etc etc.?

An array is relatively difficult because each language has it's own way of dealing with complex variables like arrays, recordsets and structures (Hash tables).

With WDDX you can "serialize" that array into XML in ColdFusion in 1 line of code.

<cfwddx input="#somequery#" output="WDDXPacket" action="CFML2WDDX">

Then transfer the XML packet to Flash (or just about any other popular web language) and "deserialize" the XML packet into a Flash array in 3 lines of code.

#include "wddx.as"
converter = new _root.WDDX();
_root.myObj = converter.deserialize(this);

That's it. No manual parsing, no learning what the hell to do with an XML packet, no DTDs to deal with etc.

Once this is done you can scroll through the array in Flash editing each row in the flash movie, and then do the exact opposite and send the "edited" array back to ColdFusion (or PHP or ASP etc) to update the server's database.

It's free, and it's elegant. Look into it. http://www.wddx.org

Steve Nelson

PilotX
06-06-2001, 03:04 AM
Hi Steve many many thanks ;-)

PilotX
06-06-2001, 03:12 AM
Hi steve I visited your url but can`t see the examples...do I nedd to pay for it?

sln7w
06-06-2001, 09:13 AM
Yeah they are pay-per-view tutorials. (i have to make a living somehow.... and this is a fun way to do it!)

I'm going to make a few of the ones in this series free so you can get a better understanding of what they're like.

Steve Nelson