PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Flush an XML file

mdavid
06-08-2001, 09:06 AM
OK,

I have a real emergency. I have a large XML file that I have brought into a Flash movie. The XML file is in a separate SWF file which is, in turn, loaded into the main movie.

The problem I have is that when I unload the second movie it does not unload the XML file (the file is, of course, loaded into the player). What I would like to do is flush the XML file so that I can load another one. If I do not do this the files end up crashing the player and, sometimes, the OS.

Can anyone help me with this?

Cheers,

fancyk
06-09-2001, 02:44 AM
I'm not sure, but could you just load in another blank .swf file in it's place? You could load the .swf file with the .xml data into a holder, then when you want to ditch the info, just load the blank .swf into the same holder, which should kick all of your .xml information out. You can try it and see if it works...

-k

mdavid
06-11-2001, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the advice. The only problem is that the XML file does not load into the same layers at the loaded swf movie. What happens is that Flash loads the file into the Overlay section of the player. The file needs to be flushed indepently of this data.

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try,

Matt

Originally posted by fancyk
I'm not sure, but could you just load in another blank .swf file in it's place? You could load the .swf file with the .xml data into a holder, then when you want to ditch the info, just load the blank .swf into the same holder, which should kick all of your .xml information out. You can try it and see if it works...

-k

VAYKENT
06-13-2001, 01:20 PM
So... you have this 'variable' and you want to 'flush' it..... set it equal to nothin'...

var nameOfSomethin = "Here's my name!";
trace (nameOfSomethin); // Displays "Here's my name!"
nameOfSomethin = "";
trace (nameOfSomethin); // Displays "", or nothing!

The XML object can be treated exactly the same...

That's if you want an 'easy' solution....