PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Graphic Tablets

fierystars
08-14-2000, 10:34 AM
i'm getting really tired of drawing anime by mouse...so i've decided to waste my allowance on another piece of computer accesory...the graphic tablet ^_^ Rite now, i'm surfing the internet looking for a good graphic tablet at a decent price with enough space to draw but there are soo many different sizes and stuff...there are four buttons, 16 buttons, large format, small format, and more...i have no clue what they are, and what is a good tablet...what do you guys suggest? i dunt want something that's huge, cuz i dunt have that much space in my bedroom...but i dunt want something that's too tiny to draw a whole anime body, and i dunt wanna spend more 600 USD on the graphic tablet...plz help? ARRIGATOU GOZAIMASU!!!!!

CNO
08-14-2000, 10:42 AM
Wacom, Wacom, Wacom!
:D
These Flashkit boards are becoming a regular Wacom advertising center - Mark should start giving away Graphire tablets as contest prizes.

I purchased the smallest size Intuous and it works great for me - fits in your lap (I feel you don't need the big hulking 20'x20' tablet...) and feels right - it looks small, but you'll spend most time looking at feedback on screen, not pad.

I have the next size up at work - usually rest it on desk, works just as well. I probably wouldn't purchase it for myself, especially with space at a premium (I got the USB at home, and can easilly throw it in my backpack and use it on the Macs at school).

Wacom also makes lots of cool accessories - I have the pen tool (comes with the pad) and the airbrush - has a wheel on the size so you can adjust pressure of stroke on the fly. Neato!

The Wacom pens are also wireless, batteryless (it makes the pen heavier if there's a battery inside, and your hand gets tired quicker), and has a pressure-sensitive eraser right on the back of the pen (flip it over and erase mistakes!)

In the end, you'll fins that no matter what kind of tablet you get, anything is more intuitive than drawing with a mouse. ;)

fierystars
08-14-2000, 10:55 AM
does graphic tablets let you trace your artwork from paper to computer? I have lots of drawings that i dunt want to scan in because my scanner sux...hopefully i can trace it into the computer...

CNO
08-14-2000, 11:14 AM
Well, the Wacom tablets do also have a plastic sheet attached to the board which you can lift and secure a piece of paper under - but this is where having the larger size might have a difference - unless you were to photocopy it and scale it down (or scan & shrink, then trace in Wacom).
Might be better off using your drawing as a visual reference and redrawing it using the tab, or take a bad scan and give it a really wicked coloring job using the tablet. ;)

fierystars
08-14-2000, 11:27 AM
thanx ^_^ i'm gonna go around finding good prices on wacoms now...all i gotta do now is think of a good explaination to my mom when she sees a tablet sitting on my desk and my allowance money half gone...^_^"

girlontheleft
08-14-2000, 12:00 PM
I've only had my Graphire tablet for a couple months now, so I haven't tried everything yet, but what I did for my footer was scan in a sketch, and then trace and smooth it in Flash. I still find it a bit difficult to draw complex stuff straight from the tablet, but then again I tend to draw really small, the original sketch was about the same size as the pic I posted in the thread about my footer. I just need a little practice :)

Akane
08-14-2000, 12:14 PM
wacom ! wacom ! wacom ! wacom ! wacom ! here too =))
i got my graphire, and am happy with it ^^

fierystars
08-14-2000, 12:29 PM
when they say 9x12...does that mean it's 9 inches by 12 inches? i know that sounds like a stupid question, but it then says that it's length 20 inches or so, and width 16 inches or so...:confused: what are then talking about? i am such an idiot when it comes to measurement...

IgotDreams
08-14-2000, 12:30 PM
I need a tablet too! I use a mouse! I am not an animator but I sure do need to draw alot! Quick someone point me in the right direction where I can buy one online!

Thanks alot in advance!

zbailey
08-14-2000, 12:30 PM
I have have seen those wacoms as low as $100(USD)!!!!!

fierystars
08-14-2000, 12:36 PM
a 9x12 one? for 100 USD?

shockanime
08-14-2000, 12:51 PM
Geez All this talk about "graphic tablets" has me curious about This Wacom (http://www.wacom.com/wacomdirect/product.asp?dept%5Fid=3&sku=ET45PC) too.:)
But I've gotten so use to drawing with my mouse I don't think I want one anymore:(

fierystars
08-14-2000, 12:56 PM
how can u draw with ur mouse? dunt u find it irritating? maybe u have a different mouse than me...hmmmmm...i have the lil tiny touch pad on my laptop....

shockanime
08-14-2000, 01:14 PM
Laptop mouse? Okay, Now as far as I'm concern... That's is close to impossible to draw with. I have a Logitech mouse with this little roller wheel on it. I take it with me everywhere. :) Drawing with It was difficult at first but after practice and hard work I mastered it in about a week in a half. How on earth can you work with a touchpad mouse. Geez, that's the only thing I hate about my laptop, But I don't do my art or animation on my laptop so I guess that's a different story.

armadillo88
08-14-2000, 01:14 PM
must have wacom.......... need wacom......... love wacom........ is this dejavoo or did i post this same thing before in another post? i dunno. im getting a little weird of late i might add.

fierystars
08-14-2000, 01:18 PM
you zoom the canvas up to 400 % and use the control z every 5 seconds...that's how i draw my pics on my comp...and that's also why i want a tablet...

Mugen
08-14-2000, 10:30 PM
How did I miss this thread!??!

Im sure that most everyone has heard me rant and rave about how much I really love my wacom graphire!! I mean for only about 90.00$ us you can get a 4x6 wacom graphire tablet which is usb and totally cordless other than the usb cable. They work great and are pressure sensitive. I really really like to use mine to touch up pictures that I have scanned in but I also really like it for quick sketches, whenever I feel the urge to make one. I had been looking at the 8x6 Intuos by wacom also but these are 250$ for 90.00$ the Wacom graphire is a great deal and a very useful thing to have sitting right next to you. They are also availible in a number of colors for anyone with asthetics in mind ;)

girlontheleft
08-15-2000, 12:32 AM
Oh yeah, I love my Graphire. So much easier, and it doesn't make my wrist hurt like a mouse does sometimes... but just try finding it in the stores in colors! I have yet to see a color Graphire in person... and I wanted a Strawberry one so bad :( Maybe there's not enough computer artists where I live to create demand :)

0teK
08-15-2000, 01:06 AM
I have a beautiful orange Graphire. More than worth every cent! If you dont have one.... get one!

Reen
08-15-2000, 08:19 AM
firey i never knew you draw on a touchpad ... this makes your drawing even better , i canīt even handle a touchpad ... silly fingers but you draw with yours wow... but hey get a wcom as soon as you can ... cause itīs the best thing youcan work with for drawing directly into the computer !

regards reneī

fierystars
08-15-2000, 08:53 AM
what are you talking about reen?...me and my crappy "non-moving" artwork :)

Which one is better for cost and efficiency? Serial port or USB port?

armadillo88
08-15-2000, 10:54 AM
USB! USB! ITS ALL BOUT THE USB! YEAH! THEY ROCK! they go like so crappy fast that its unbeleivable. i love em. they rock.

girlontheleft
08-15-2000, 12:07 PM
USB rocks but a word of warning: don't get it if you're on an NT machine. NT doesn't work with USB for some reason. Lame! :mad: If it did I'd bring it to work with me every day. Drawing with a mouse is like eating with your elbows: messy, slow, and unnecessarily difficult.

Installing at home was an epic unto itself, I had USB problems with my Win98 machine, so my computer pro brother decides I should upgrade to Win2k. Without his direct supervision. I did. There were no drivers for my 2 printers, scanner, or sound card, and I still couldn't get the Wacom to work. Long story short: Win2k nearly gave me a nervous breakdown, I now have a dual booting win98/win2k machine of dubious stability, and I still can't listen to my BNL MP3s, but the Graphire now works perfectly on both OSes. I'm still not entirely sure how that happened.

fierystars
08-15-2000, 12:38 PM
i can't find a 9x12 usb...

voman
09-05-2000, 04:59 AM
I bought my Intuos 6X8 USB from Buy.com for under $300 dollars. It is in stock. You can also use their coupons. The one I used was $30 off $150 or more purchase. You can find the coupon at http://www.dvdpricesearch.com.

Buy.com rules and the Intuos owns all!!

Heh, I can't even draw!!

armadillo88
09-06-2000, 09:44 PM
i getting a graphire i getting a graphire. thanx peeps. i got to choose the best from this thread for my b day. heheh:D u rock all!

taiso
09-08-2000, 12:44 AM
Alright you have all sold me.

I saw a graphire at compusa for $100 and I think I'm going to buy

But one question before I dip into my pockets,how is painting with the graphire, especially in photoshop.

I have no artistic ability so I basically take my friends lineart and color them. Using a mouse is becoming a drag so I'm looking for an alternative.

Thanks in advance..

"But I thought they said it was just a name!"
"It is,Actually monster Island is a peninsula."

voman
09-08-2000, 03:06 AM
Taiso:

So what is the question?

taiso
09-08-2000, 09:51 AM
Basically the question,

How does the tablet work within photoshop.

Can the tablet be used in lieu of the mouse with tools like the paintbucket or the lasso?

Hope that is clearer.

"Please don't touch me.."
"It disgusts me.."

girlontheleft
09-08-2000, 11:57 AM
The tablet works great in Photoshop, and in fact the Graphire kit includes some pen-specific photoshop plugins.

Basically, waving the pen over the tablet is equivalent to moving the mouse, tapping it is equivalent to clicking, and drawing is equivalent to dragging/drawing with the mouse. The button on the side of the pen is the equivalent of the right mouse button. It takes a while to get used to double-tapping the pen and clicking the button (my fingers are usually way lower than the button on the pen when I draw) but it's great once you get used to it.

So the pen works with all the tools just the same as the mouse does. The great bonus is that your photoshop tools can recognise pressure levels (a little checkbox comes up on the tool options palette) so that the line thickness varies with the pressure.

taiso
09-08-2000, 01:14 PM
Thanks alot

"How would I go about creating a half man,half monkey type creature "
"I'm sorry but that would be playing god."
"God, Shmod I want my monkey-man!"

davidbessler
10-08-2000, 12:51 AM
Try getting an optical mouse (The laser mice with no mouseball). I use the Microsoft IntelliEye. It's very smooth and accurate. Cheap too. Should cost you less than $40. You also never need to clean it. A plus when you consider the gobs of lint on my desk.

flashylady
10-09-2000, 03:40 PM
How many of you draw with a mouse? How many prefer drawing with a mouse? I had purchased a Calcomp drawingslate II a while back (they no longer make these) and for some reason it doesn't work with Flash. It's sluggish and then locks up after about a minute so I have been using the mouse and have gotten pretty used to it. From what you all have been saying about the graphire, I may look into getting one, but will have to train myself to get used to it after having gotten used to the mouse.