PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Form Problems

Steve1962
08-18-2000, 07:43 AM
Problem Summary:
My problem is that my form sends data fine when in Mac format but sends blank responses in the PC application.

Does anyone know what is happening and how I can solve it?

Detailed Explanation:
I have Flash 4 for Mac and have created a standalone
presentation (flash projector) which culminates in a form which the user fills in to so I can gather information about them.

I have also created a cgi script which gathers all the information sent to it and forwards it to my e-mail address. I know this part works as I have created a flashplayer version of my presentation and filled in the form myself. The result was perfect, but....

My problem is that the majority of users are going to be using a PC rather than Mac so I published an .exe application.

When I sent it out to people for testing they all said that the presentation was fine and when they submitted the form everything seemed to work for them, but the trouble is what I receive in my e-mail. i.e The Web Response arrives but the
textfield categories are all blank.

The Master
08-20-2000, 03:40 AM
Since no one's come forward to your aid.. I'll take a shot..

Not to my knowledge can you execute a CGI script on a IBM computer without first setting up a Web Server..

The only possible way I could think to execute a email through a standalone would be 1 of 2 ways..

A. Write a program that must be included with the executable that takes command line parameters (what else is there) and then after receiving these parameters hides on the system and stays resident (even through a reboot) until the user connects to the internet (which it detects) and then forwards the data..

B. Assume that user is on the Internet or tell them that they must be connected to the net to use this form (this is not totally a user friendly approach) and then execute the command through Textbox and html calls to a perl script that resides on the Internet and is specified to a address like http://myserver.com/myformscript.. (note I have never done a flash email form before.. but I assume it's totally possible)

If this is what you've done then your problem lies in your lack of knowledge on the PC platform and really has to do with troubleshooting PC/MAC differences.. I'd be happy to have a look at your program and preform a diagnosis..
[Edited by The Master on 08-20-2000 at 03:44 AM]