PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Flash SDK Site

JAEzell
08-18-2000, 12:59 PM
Would anyone be interested in a site such as FlashKit, but devoted entirely to the Flash SDK, including tutorials, source code (such as my font classes), docs, bugfixes, forums, contests, projects, etc.?

Just trying to see how much interest there is out there.
--Jesse

Colin Davies
08-18-2000, 03:22 PM
Jesse , I'd find the site useful,
But I am guessing that there aren't that many developers involved in developing with the SDK unfortunatly !
eg It would have a limited number of hits etc,
But again " I'd find it useful "

Regardz
Colin Davies

K.A.R.L. 2000
08-18-2000, 05:04 PM
I'd check it out all the freakin' time. But as a user, not a developer. My focus is on client side programming and design.

ZeroG
08-18-2000, 05:30 PM
I have thought of a similar thing. Would be a good idea. However, like previously stated, not that many Flash SDK programmers out there.

Gerolf von Lengeling
08-19-2000, 04:11 AM
Hooray Jesse !

Excellent idea !
- Since OpenSWF.org is stagnant.
Their might be more developers out there than one would guess.
Look at all the 3rd party tools out there!

Please do it.
Regards
Gerolf.

yysun
08-19-2000, 09:43 AM
Hi, Jesse,

DO it! I'll help if I can.

Yiyi

David Michie
08-27-2000, 07:45 PM
Myabe someone wants to take over openswf.org?
I don't have the time anymore.

Cheers, David.

Dave777
10-26-2000, 04:40 AM
You would not be teasing us would you?

Go on Jesse, put your name up in lights. You can easily see how much interest there is in OpenSWF, Heaps.

I have a lot of stuff I could throw at you.

Dave

JAEzell
10-26-2000, 05:17 PM
No tease here. Just waiting to see if Macromedia will release the Flask 5 SDK before I decide on anything. If they don't an SDK site is kind of pointless since the SDK will most likely phase out or be useless for anything professional.

--Jesse

DJSole
10-30-2000, 12:10 AM
I don't mean to make competition, but I've been creating a site which is close to being live fairly soon.

So if anyone does have any tutorials or documents that they'd like to put up, feel free to contribute :
ksole@bigpond.com

Dave

pob
11-06-2000, 11:21 AM
Hi,jesse
Is it still there?I mean this www9.ewebcity.com/virtuascape.
Thanks.

johnie
11-16-2000, 02:47 PM
It is due out in Early December. Yes, I would be intersted in such a site. Open SWF hasn't been updated very much.

jaidi
12-04-2000, 10:46 AM
Jesse, I think that's a very good idea
Pls let me know what the outcome is ok!!

Andrew Kidoo
12-27-2000, 01:08 AM
Kount me in!

What language is your SDK written in?
What sorta sources are you after?
Where will it be hosted?

Best-o-luck!
\

(2k + 0.001 =0)

YannickThomas
12-27-2000, 07:23 AM
I think it would be very cool !
I've got a lot of problem with this SDK !

Yannick.

JAEzell
01-04-2001, 05:10 AM
--The SDK is written in C++.
--Example souce code will be provided as well as docs when it is completed. (and tutorials, etc... whatever is needed to get people up and running quick).
--Hosting locaion TBA, but for now it is probably safe to say www15.brinkster.com/JAEzell will be the starting location while it is getting off the ground.

SittingGuy
01-09-2001, 09:49 PM
Hi Jesse,

What happened with the site? Do you expect the site back soon? I could REALLY use some help (my question is posted above). Can you read my question titled, "How do i write the frame size in a SWF?" I could really use your help.

Thanks.

Salomon Garzon
01-19-2001, 05:40 AM
The idea of a new SDK is great, one very ugly thing in the MM SDK is that it is full of 'new' contructors, this, I understand, is very bad in a multithread application due to contention problems, and it's also bad when the code has to be in memory for a long time as is the case in a server extension, because it is then very probable that some allocated object will never be deallocated. So my wish is that the new code pay some attention to this concern.
Regards.

JAEzell
01-19-2001, 10:10 AM
Hmm...I've never heard of new constructors being a problem for Multi-thread apps...all classes are initialized by them. Maybe you mean that it uses to many pointers? I am trying to do away with most of those. There are a few cases where it is absolutely essential though...and that is due to the nature of C++. Basically, you cannot have polymorphic classes (class inheritance, etc.) without using reference objects or pointers. Reference objects cannot be stored in arrays, etc. for later use, so pointers are required in instances where such is the case (this is mainly for classes such as FActionRecord derivations). The problem with the MM SDK is not really that it uses "new constructors" but that the library doesn't let you control deallocation of objects...I see the problems this could cause, and in my SDK, you have complete control over the deallocation of all your objects (the library will never automatically deallocate ANY classes for you).

--Jesse

bobito
01-19-2001, 10:39 AM
I would definitely use such a site. Speaking of which, is the openswf.org site totally dead? I haven't been able to connect to it for a couple of days...
bob

JAEzell
01-19-2001, 04:12 PM
Yah...the domain isn't there anymore. However, you can still get all the OpenSWF.org info at its old location:

http://homepages.tig.com.au/~dkl/swf

Salomon Garzon
01-20-2001, 02:08 PM
Jesse:
Sorry for bothering you again about this subject of the constructors. Of course the 'new' constructor is the essence of C++, it's good and it's elegant. However, what I'm concerned about is that the MM SDK uses many thousands of them to build a regularly sized file, because every object is only a few bytes big. In a desktop application this poses no problem at all and the code really looks good as it is now. But in a server or service application that has to be running continously, the massive allocation of small objects from the process heap could become a very serious performance problem because of contention between threads (the heap is shared by threads in a proccess in WINNT) and because of heap fragmentation. All that, in addition to the problem of forgetting to deallocate a block, which you have already taken care of.
I've been thinking a lot about it and maybe the simplest solution would be to override the standard new operator with a custom one that takes the memory from a bigger block allocated from the heap, this custom allocator could be very easy to implement since most or all of the objects are not deallocated until the very end of the file creation routine.
So there might be a solution after all.
Regards, Salomon.

JAEzell
01-20-2001, 08:26 PM
I see...this shouldn't be a problem with my SDK, because you can write the objects directly to the output stream (any iostream class based stream will work). So, once the object you are writing has been output, you can delete it. By doing this, you could allocate one object at a time and output it if there were memory concerns.

If a new operator constructor needs to be rewritten, that is a possibility still though. What do you think?

--Jesse

scitrek
01-21-2001, 07:46 PM
Just ran across your discussion while trying to find my own posting (and failed, BTW). So, is anyone interested in Java Flash SDK? It's already mostly finished (well, not the whole SDK, but rather framework, which is quite easy to extend - i used the same framework 4 parsing/writing MP3, GIF and SWF files and based on this framework Flash GIF/JPG/MP3 wrappers/substituters r successfully working at our company). If yes, let me know and i'll talk to my boss here (the stuff doesn't formally belong to me) - possibly he'd be interested in making this stuff public as much as i am.

vlad

Salomon Garzon
01-22-2001, 04:23 AM
I've been playing with a simple constructor/destructor as simple as this:

char shrcBuff[50000];
int shrcPtr;
void *FShapeRec::operator new( size_t cb)
{
int t = shrcPtr;
shrcPtr += cb;
return (void*)(shrcBuff + t);
}

void FShapeRec::operator delete( void*){
;
}

and it works fine. Objects need not be deallocated, you just wait until the end of the movie and then reset the pointer shrcPtr, with a little more sophistication you have a perfectly good allocator for the task. So I am much more relaxed about the whole thing now. Thank you Jesse.

johnie
01-22-2001, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by scitrek
Just ran across your discussion while trying to find my own posting (and failed, BTW). So, is anyone interested in Java Flash SDK? It's already mostly finished (well, not the whole SDK, but rather framework, which is quite easy to extend - i used the same framework 4 parsing/writing MP3, GIF and SWF files and based on this framework Flash GIF/JPG/MP3 wrappers/substituters r successfully working at our company). If yes, let me know and i'll talk to my boss here (the stuff doesn't formally belong to me) - possibly he'd be interested in making this stuff public as much as i am.

vlad

Yes, many people are interested in a Java SDK and there is even already a partial SDK (Free Software under an Apache liscense) out.

There is an even higher demand though for a Java Flash Player that works on Flash 4 and 5.

The Java SWF project link is here http://www.anotherbigidea.com/javaswf/javaswf.html.
[Edited by johnie on 01-22-2001 at 11:50 AM]