PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : HELP!!!!!!! importing bmps again

yellaman4200
09-14-2000, 04:48 AM
HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am really confused with the vector clipart thing. How do I import/export bmps. into a vector clipart and so on so I can use it in KoolMoves? Once this is done, can I manipulate this vector now? PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!
THANKS

Bob Hartzell
09-14-2000, 07:13 AM
I think you need to be more specific about what you are trying to do:
1) Are you trying to fill a shape with a bitmap?
If so, draw the shape and select the fill tool and bitmap fill.
2) Are you trying to convert a bitmap to a series of vectorized shapes?
If so, you can manually trace the bitmap with a KoolMoves drawing tool to get vector shapes and lines or see this thread: tutorial - converting images to WMF by johnie 08-15-2000.

[Edited by Bob Hartzell on 09-14-2000 at 07:16 AM]

TPhilipDolce
09-14-2000, 09:20 AM
Yella,....

IF there is anything I do not like about Kool,..this feature would be it. There is not much to dislike about this program, but man,..when you import a .bmp to trace,...mine is NEVER centered and I sure wish there were ways to move and size the image with control points etc. It just doesn't make sense to me. When you import it,..it's there and there is nothing you can do to alter it. You're stuck with it until you trace it.
I haven't had any success with the .wmf import yet without error messages,..but I think that will require some more attempts on my part. I haven't tried hard enough yet.
Again,...a Kool program, but this trace feature bothers me.

TD

TPhilipDolce
09-14-2000, 09:25 AM
Again,..this is just a measely small opinion from a simple fella. And to answer your question....File>Trace Image>Display Image....and there it will be after you choose it. Also for .wmf's,...File>Import> and then find the appropriate .wmf file that you want. This feature hasn't worked yet for me. You can create .wmf's in Corel Draw, or just about any vector program if I'm not mistaken.

TD

Bob Hartzell
09-14-2000, 09:55 AM
This feature hasn't worked yet for me. You can create .wmf's in Corel Draw, or just about any vector program if I'm not mistaken.
-> There are posts in this forum that say which programs work. I am not very familiar with this. I do a rigorous test on import to see if there are any vector related tags in the file and if not post a message saying it is a bitmap wmf. Maybe someone who has explored this can address this issue: which programs export vector wmfs and which don't.

As for manual tracing, try setting the zoom (upper right) to make the trace bigger or smaller. I can add positioning at a later date.

I think I have single package to handle many import formats (eps, etc.) If it looks good, I may implement it end Oct/Nov timeframe. It even has a twain interface.

johnie
09-15-2000, 02:12 AM
I've been testing imports. Star Office has been the easiest and most reliable method. I've been passing the files through metafile companion or Star Office if save as WMF is not an option.

I just posted how to use Photo Shop and Illustrator to vectorize rastor images.

I could not get Kvec to work it might just be me though.

The Gimp, Paint Shop, and Photo Shop also do not work. They only add flat images to a WMF making it no more useful than before.

I'm doing my homework on the Gimp-Gyve projects though. I may have an answer on whether that will work or maybee not (FYI the GYVE project is still in beta nad is not fully functional as far as I know.)

johnie
09-15-2000, 03:05 AM
To get the image centered in Kool Moves you can also use the drag function. Click on the hand Icon and then drag the screen so that you can see the image to trace it.

The trace BMP function works fine but the image must be a BMP. Most raster images are Jpegs, GIFS, or PNG's and must be converted to a BMP.

If the file is a vector, Tiff, a Flash file, or whatever format that you can't convert to then this trick will allow you to grab the image and convert it to BMP (also good for grabbing images from movies or webpages that you can't get the images from- Please Note: I am not encouraging theft of images. If the image is copyrighted then get permision before you copy it)

1. Open up the image in the program that can view it (Use Full screen mode if available).

2. Hit [alt Printscrn] (printscrn is the button right next to the F- Keys on most keyboards).

3. Open MS Paint- Yes, it is good for something. (If you want you could try pasting the image into any graphics program just be sure to save as a BMP)

4. Hit Edit>Paste or hit [AltE]-P

5. Use MS Paint to clean the image.

6. Save.

That's about it- in case your wondering- YES, that is how you make a screenshot in Windows 95/98. I always was amazed by the number of people who add No-Right click scripts to their pages becuase as far as I know a web browser cannot disable this function.
[Edited by johnie on 09-15-2000 at 03:14 AM]