PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : I need some help please!

Kko
01-18-2002, 05:40 PM
This may be a stupid question, but I cannot figure this out, so any help would be good!

I am making a menu and what I am trying to do, is from each menu button, get a child movie to play.

Now, I can add the child movie so that when the button is pressed down it "shows" the movie, however I cannot get it to actually "play" the movie. So any special effects I have don't work.

What is the correct way to have a child movie play within a movie by using a "button" to start it?

Please help!

Thanks.

p.s. I read the "help section" but for some reason I cannot get the Play/Stop movie to work when I assign that to the menu for the movie to play etc.
[Edited by Kko on 01-18-2002 at 04:45 PM]

blanius
01-18-2002, 07:38 PM
Check out the example from the menu within 3dFA. It's titled animated button.

I have a more elaborate example at
http://geocities.com/into3dfa

It's a complete walk trough of creating an animated menu.

There are numerous examples there.

Kko
01-18-2002, 09:29 PM
at the site however, what I need to know isn't clear for me.

Currently I have the child movies working when the buttons on the menu are pressed down. The only way I could get them to show however was by placing on the "BUTTON DOWN" section first:

:Show Movie "name" ;then under that I have
:Play Movie "name"

This was the only way it would work for me. Just using the Play Movie by itself wasn't working.

It is the first time I have done this, so I wanted to know the correct procedure. If I have done it right, then I am ok! lol.

Thanks. :)

zoranvedek
01-18-2002, 10:34 PM
That's generally how it works(show & play), you can also use a go to frame command instead of play movie.

-Jason

blanius
01-19-2002, 02:41 PM
It different if the child movie is an element of the button or seperate.

I've not needed to use the show event or action when the child movie is an element of the button itself. However I have had to if it's a seperate thing outside of the actual button.

I hope the tutorials and examples where of some use to you.

Kko
01-19-2002, 06:06 PM
They were of help to me. I didn't mean to belittle your work. I just wasn't sure if I was doing it the right way.

However, I believe I have it worked out now.

This is the site I have it tested on:

http://www.geocities.com/kmkdreams/introbus.html

The child movies you will see are used in the main menu after the intro.

I used the show & play on the buttons. It worked ok, though it doesn't work correctly everytime.

Thanks for your help and for the hardwork you put into the tutorial site. :)

zoranvedek
01-19-2002, 08:24 PM
Nice work.

To fix the problem of them not playing everytime, use the go to keyframe command instead of the play command. What is happening is that child movies play on their own timeline. So when you show and play them they will simply begin playing from the point that they are currently at in their own timeline. By using the go to keyframe command you are sending them back to the point you need them at.

A good practice is to have them stop on the first keyframe, and put all your actions into a later keyframe that you can send it to. Then on a keyframe following the one with your actions, send it back to the first keyframe, where it will stop again and wait for a command.

-Jason

Kko
01-20-2002, 01:09 PM
That makes sense.. I didn't think of it like that.

:)

Thank you for the time and help!