PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : "Streaming audio" in Flash

MADAfigure
05-26-2000, 02:31 PM
I've been trying to explain to my boss for some time now that Flash doesn't stream in the traditional sense of the word (i.e. RealAudio). She is convinced that audio works this way in Flash since Flash is advertised as "streaming media".

Now the problem:

We recently hit a website, a computer based training site that has lengthy bouts of high quality, spoken audio. There is no preloader to the site and the audio plays immediately when a button is pushed. Some of these audio clips break the one minute mark and still there is no load time.

My theory on this is that while the user is reading the text on the screen, the audio is being "preloaded" in an external movie. when the user pushes a button, the button loads an external movie, the movie being a separate SWF with nothing in it but the audio file. I've tried this, but it doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone know how this can be accomplished?

jydnas
05-26-2000, 06:43 PM
some sites dont make the graphics for the preloader but the actionscript is still there.

Now Here is What i found

You can make a button that on press
loads an external music.swf into level1
the music is set to streaming.
Now There is a thing called

Sound Buffer Time

and what you can do is in the first frame
put
Set Property (Sound buffer time) = "1"

this will start the streamed audio in one second
and there is no preload.

The default time is 5 seconds.

so what i did was just change it to 1 second.

you can even make it "0"

Flash uses streaming for two things
Syncing audio to the timeline
and streaming over the web.

by the way if you need any more info on streaming or want to talk about mp3 just post a message. :D

[This message has been edited by jydnas (edited 26 May 2000).]

Media Resistance
05-30-2000, 09:48 AM
Thanks man, MADA and I have been breaking our backs trying to figure this out and it's been a thorn in my side for about a month now. I'm talking insomnia-inducing. Anyhow, just a clarification if you will. where do I put the frame action for setting the sound buffer time? do I put it in the first frame of the audio movie? or do I put it in the first frame of the button? I also come across a syuntax error when setting the property, is there something there that needs to go after the comma in the action dialog?

Media Resistance
05-30-2000, 11:57 AM
Than you thank you thank you!!! the sound buffer time thing worked. There's only one problem left to tackle. There are several buttons with a sound attached to each one, they don't stop mid-stream when you click on another button to hear another sound. I think I can script it, though... if not, you'll all be hearing from MADA and I.

thanks again, now I can get some sleep at night.

Bryan