PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : flash sound skills

zarinmedia
04-29-2000, 06:20 PM
hello friends,

this question is directed to the flash sound professionals out there...

I am conducting research on audio/music skills and talents required to consider someone a heavy duty sound guy/girl...

since midi, and audio is not my forte.. and I have to compile such a list I thought I'd ask for a bit of help..

as comprehensive a list as possible.. please..

what I got so far.. are

use of a home sound studio on high end pc

midi sequencing skills and knowledge of
software such as Cakewalk, or Steinberg's
Cubasis

in depth knowledge of .WAV, .AIFF, and .MP3
formats and when to use them

fully understand sound & music theory

understanding of digital mixing and mastering

can you modify or add to any?

thanks for your help

zoubin (http://www.zarinmedia.com)

jydnas
04-30-2000, 02:32 AM
Analogue Mixing and Mastering
Sound Boards
Sampling and sample rates
Microphone Techniques/Placement.
Sound Reinforcment.

That's about it.
You got most of it right from the start.

I used to Go to R.I.D.
Recording Institute of Detroit.

If you want to talk more reply :D

zarinmedia
04-30-2000, 02:49 AM
great thanks..

just the kind of input I was looking for!

much apreciated..

z.

------------------
[zoubin] [1-416-652-2455] [http://www.zarinmedia.com]

deadhorsebeat
05-01-2000, 06:07 AM
hi zarin,

you should perhaps cross things like 'sound reinforcement' and 'microphone placement' off your list, these apply more towards a traditional recording studio and less towards digital mediums.

you're probably looking for someone able to do 'sound design' for your effects and buttons, as well as work in a more traditional 'soundtrack'-type capacity to coordinate storyboarded movies with loops or scores. to this end it would probably be of benfit to find a digital musician who is ,at least, familiar, if not experienced, with the type of medium you wish to work in, be it flash, shockwave, etc. this would ensure that the content provided would be in a suitable format. most 'traditional' musicians/recording engineers don't understand why using high-frequency instruments or complex structures doesn't work in a bandwith-starved medium like the web.

[This message has been edited by deadhorsebeat (edited 01 May 2000).]

jydnas
05-01-2000, 04:50 PM
cross off microphone techniques
and sound reinforment???

What if his sound guy/girl
is asked by a client to record thier voice?
or they need a electric guitar recorded.

deadhorsebeat
05-01-2000, 09:35 PM
you would record the guitar direct or record the voice in a flat room. then through the magic of computers, you would apply effects to get the sound you need. the only instrument i would consider mic techniques still important for would be live drums. but how many people use those anymore?

Soundzfun
05-31-2000, 10:36 PM
Zarin,

Hello to you. I'm a sound designer and I can give you simple recommenadations:

Audio for multimedia doesn't have to be that complex. I can do it at home and I've got the simplest of systems.

Digital Performer and ProTools. Both require a high end PC or Mac (mac is preferred in the audio industry). ProTools has become an industry standard for both music and post production work.

Sound to picture...this is important in when you get to animations in Quicktime or After Effects.

Understanding the uses and techniques of dynamic processors and time based effects.

Since music libraries are common, there may not be as much of a need for recording actual musicians, but I've had producers contract musicians for original music.

Some electronic knowledge...troubleshooting, etc.

Good luck,

Andy

powerglidedigital.bizland.com/

fluxxy
06-03-2000, 06:35 AM
Ive been writing electronic for a very long time! I also play guitar, mainly blues. Ive used many studio's and lots of gear, I sold everything I had apart from my korg prophecy, for a computer based set up, to drive my music.
Today you dont need tons of recording gear, you just need to be skilled enough in getting by without luxury hardware studio Items. check out my sounds at http://www.mp3.com/dafluxtah , the first eight songs on the page were made in several professional studio's. The rest were done with my PC, now can you spot any differences in quality?? ok, If you get ears like mine then maybe yes, though my freinds still say my music kiks butt.

To see my musical work in flash http://www.4dfw.com/ianwarwick/flash.htm all the sounds and music were made by me, with soft synths. If you know what your doing, you could work with a 1 oscilator synth and make almost any sound you wanted. I beleive its not what your using, its how you use it that counts.

fluxxy
06-03-2000, 06:39 AM
uhm....... and oh yeh, I can get a proffesional sound out of my pc microphone. and I bet the ordinary ear would not notice whatsoever.

Soundzfun
06-04-2000, 11:24 PM
hey fluxxy,

I think you misunderstood me...or maybe I just wasn't clear in my writing. Zarin was just asking for recommendations on what sort of talents would be needed for a professional to do sound/music...I assume for multimedia and/or web applications. I was just stating what i considered to be good skill sets for that role.

As for you comments on the the studio equipment, I think it really depends on the company that is in need for a studio. I've been in the recording industry since 92', and I've made sound effects on a four track cassette tape machine. I'll agree with you that it's not the equipment that will make the work sound good, but the talent of the sound designer..but when you're actually putting out a product, you risk loosing clients based on equipment. Example: A friend and I were contracting for a commercial spot in Orlando. We gave them a demo, they loved it. They wanted to see our studio (which was an 8 track cassette, some midi gear, a pair of headphones, a borrowed dbx mic pre-amp and a AKG 414. The client took a look, shook his head and walked out. That SUCKED. And it's sad that something as superficial as that would loose a cleint...but people are funny.

In my experience, the optimum thing to do was to convert the sounds down because of the size issue and because the output was going to be multimedia speakers, which don't have quite the dynamic range of home stereo speakers (as an example)...although I'm sure we've all heard some crappy sounding home stereo speakers). You have to be able to compress the entire range of the dynamics so that they all fit in the little file, and it's very difficult to get a wide dynamic range into a computer and get the same range coming out. Most of my peers would say it's impossible. To make audio going into a PC mic sound pro is quite a task...but if you can do it, go get'em. Get a job at Abbey Road or B.O.P.

I'm not exactly a talented flash designer like those that do the work I've seen here (only been at it three months), but I can do sound design.

The wonderful thing is that one can get pro-quality audio (sound effects or music) in thier own bedroom because the price of the gear has gone down. Even Frank Zappa wouldn't have thought that he cold get a 16 track digital audio workstation in his house for under $15k. And wth the advent of MP3's, the record companies are nervous. Now you can get the same pro quality sound for under $k...just in a smaller package...that's got studios nervous.

I think I picked the wrong area to let this out...shall we start another?

fluxxy
06-05-2000, 02:24 PM
I understand, yeah I guess people want to see what you use, Im just a bedroom musician since 91 though ive used a fair bit of kit, yep with multimedia I feel at this stage it doesnt matter so much, as long as its a reasonable quality, and for flash4 ive found MP3 compression at 16kbps can sometimes make a loop sound sort of better in a lofi way! it seems to do something to acid music. at about 30kbps it seems to sound worse than 16kbps, im not to sure why. computers are really good nowadays with softsynths like rebirth and the dreamstation. Rebirth seems to be the only TB 303 clone that really does sound like the real thing, I had a roland MC303 for a while and the resonance and cutoff didnt seem to have the range the TB303 or rebirth offers.
Anyway we should start another thread! yep it sure would look strange if I had a client come into my room and see a PC surrounded by huge speakers and a PC mic! I think theyd fall over laughing! though still, I get good results.