PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : New KM movie for different pages??

inks
09-20-2000, 10:46 AM
It's your ol' pal Inks once again. This time it's a question about new pages. I know in Flash you can build scenes for new pages w/o having to build an entire new movie. However, since KM doesnot have scene capability, do I have to build a new movie for each page associated with a navigation action?

KM is pretty amazing, but right now I'm wondering if I'm pushing it a little too hard. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Bob Hartzell
09-20-2000, 11:37 AM
You can also use frames. You would use go to frame action and the frames have a stop action. Maybe AndrewC will pipe in here. He has used that approach for a highly interactive site he is putting together.

inks
09-20-2000, 12:42 PM
Ok, I've diddled around with the idea of using frames, but the problem I've run into is when I roll-on it looses the current info from that frame. Programming mouse events presents the same problem, because it runs the last event. FOR EXAMPLE:
If I say on roll-out go to frame Z and stop, this action always occurs. So, in the first frame on roll-out it goes to frame Z instead of the first mouse event which was on roll-out go to frame A and stop.

Hopefully, I didn't confuse you guys with my explaination.

johnie
09-20-2000, 01:58 PM
I tried it and it worked for me.

This is probably your problem.

In the frame that you goto is the object included in that frame? If it is then is it located in the same spot as the original?.

If it isn't then as soon as the frame loads the mouse state has changed to on Roll Out and it performs that action.

2 Fixes for this problem.

1. Make sure that the new frame has the object located in the same place as the first frame.

2. Create a new object that has the same apperance as the original but diffrent actions and use that instead of the original object.

- A helpful way to debug this problem is to assign temporary colors to the same object in the diffrent frames. When I threw my sample together I used Green for Frame A and Red for Frame Z.

AndrewC
09-20-2000, 05:08 PM
inks, there is a demo on at http://www.koolmoves.com/btntutorial/main.html that demonstrates using different frames. It only uses 'goto frame and stop' but the principal would apply for 'goto frame and play'.

The movie Bob mentioned is at http://www.animalsinmind.org.uk/flash/main.html it is unfinished but uses the following approaches to mixing movies.

1) Fade out the scene and load the new movie on the same layer.

2) Load a small movie on a higher layer that shows a 'mixing' scene and loads the new movie on the lower layer.

3) Load the new movie on a higher layer, then unload the underlying movie.

Which approach you use will depend on the effect you want and how quick you need movies to change.
Hope that helps rather than confuses

inks
09-21-2000, 02:56 PM
Hey 'Drew thanks for the tip. However, you are confusing me with the talk of scenes. It's my understanding that KM does not support scenes (everything is contained within a frame). So, please explain your scene philosphy to me. Thanks.

AndrewC
09-21-2000, 03:31 PM
inks

Sorry, using video terminology. By scene I simply mean what's visible in the movie window.

Andrew