PDA

Click to See Complete Forum and Search --> : Publishing W/ & WO/ HTML

CoolMoves
09-22-2000, 07:15 PM
Ok I finally got Koolmoves to publish on a web site that I put up exclusively to learn about koolmoves. I am using FrontPage 2000, but I also have access to CuteFTP. My question is this, When you export the finished file, it gives you two choices, .swf and .swf with HTML. I don't want to assume anything here so I’m wondering when do I use one, and when do I use the other. I would think .swf with HTML would be used when you’re publishing to a page that has Koolmoves AND ordinary HTML. Could somebody explain the difference between these two? Thanks

Bob Hartzell
09-22-2000, 07:43 PM
The + html gives you a complete working web page that references the swf you created. It also provides the javascript you need to run the swf. In many situations, you you may only need the swf so you would choose that option. In suggest the swf + html in your case.

johnie
09-22-2000, 09:40 PM
If you are going to have other elements on the page then I suggest exporting to HTML+SWF and then cutting and pasting the HTML where you want it.

CoolMoves
09-23-2000, 12:44 PM
Well I don’t know if it’s me, if it’s the program not working right, or if it’s with the servers, but I can’t seem to get the “.swf with HTML” feature to work right :( The only way that I can publish Koolmoves is with the .swf all by itself. I have set up two different test pages to learn Koolmoves on, and they both get messed up when I use “with HTML”. Here (http://koolmoves.bizland.com/) is one page. Please note: The ‘box’ that you see is where Koolmoves is supposed to be. Here (http://go.to/koolmoves/) is another page, and where the effect should be is just an empty blank spot. Since .swf seems to be working fine along with HTML I’m confused as to why there is a separate “with HTML” way to export? Can someone look at this and tell me what’s going on. I really want to learn about this program, but this has me stumped. Thanks

Bob Hartzell
09-23-2000, 01:16 PM
I can't get at the essence of the problem because of the complexity of the page with frames, etc. If you ftp the html (as exported) as ascii and the swf (as exported) as binary, it should work. If it works off your hard-drive by double-clicking on the html file, then it should work off a server. Many months ago, a person went into the html file and messed with the javascript and then it didn't work. I would get this simple thing working and then modify the html to include other things.

johnie
09-23-2000, 03:44 PM
Its a sizeand placement thing. If you just export and link to it the movie will scale to the size of the open window if it can. In export to SWF with HTML the movie will scale to the size of the table. If you want other objects on the page- like a Java Script form, graphics,Java Applets, ETC- then you should use export as SWF with HTML.

The function also checks for the plug in and displays the alternate graphic- If they don't have Flash.

johnie
09-23-2000, 04:19 PM
I see your problem:

You are using the Front Page Page extensions that only work on MS Servers.

I'm E-mailing you the solution.

johnie
09-23-2000, 04:30 PM
To Publish a KOOL MOVES file if you don't want to have anything else on the page all you have to do is upload the HTML and SWF generated by Front Page to your Directory.

That's it.

None of that Fancy stuff is needed.

if you want more you view source on the page generated by Kool Moves and cut from the <Table> tag to the </Table> Tag and paste it into your HTML File.

Once you have done this you can adjust the table size in your HTML Editor.

Note: If it can be avoided don't use Front Page 98. It changes your HTML which causes problems. If you are really Familure with HTML and Front Page 98-go for it. I've done it before- The Flash Movie will not Play in Front Page 98 Editor or Amayou and you must preview in a browser to see what it will look like. Non WYSWIG editors will show it though.